newbie here

jbalp

Registered
Registered
hello all
I'm new to the forum, thanks for letting me join in. I'm no machinist by any means but I've had a machine,one or another for some 15 years or so .. I started with a little 6" atlas, played with that for a couple of years. then I came across a Jet 1340BD , I bought that and sold off the atlas.. well my shop is not heated (live in maine) and that was hard on that machine I just couldn't keep it from getting rust on it .. so I sold it , thought I'd find a smaller machine and keep it in my basement.. so I found a 10" atlas. that's what I've been suffering with for the last few years. it's just not my jet ... well I decided to buy a larger machine again and I'll be darn if I didn't find another JET, 1336PBD it's a 1987 and in excellent condition. it came from a homeowner and he took great care of it and it has had very little use ... I'm very happy with it :)
This all leads me to a few questions
It needs new belts. it still has the original ones on it. the motor drive belt doesn't look like a big deal but the spindle belt is a different story the spindle would have to come out to change out the belt. have any of you tackled this on your JETS ? should I just go with one of those segmented belts ? how good are they ? I need smooth= gun barrels
2nd what do guys do to keep your machine rust free ??/
also I need a 4 jaw chuck 2 1/4 x tpi

Good day

My Grizzly G9249 lathe manual talks about using a segmented belt if the original needs to be replaced. My belt is fine.

On my Grizzly G1008 milling machine I chose to use a segmented belt for ease of fitting. It runs smooth and quiet. If I had to replace the lathe belt, I would use a segmented belt over removing the spindle.

View attachment 243767

Take a look at Shars for the 4 jaw chuck. They have some with the threaded backplate for a lower combination price.

http://www.shars.com/products/toolh...lathe_chuck_category=Independent+Lathe+Chucks

My Grizzly G9249 lathe manual talks about using a segmented belt if the original needs to be replaced. My belt is fine.

On my Grizzly G1008 milling machine I chose to use a segmented belt for ease of fitting. It runs smooth and quiet. If I had to replace the lathe belt, I would use a segmented belt over removing the spindle.

Mill_link_belt_no_auxiliary_pulley_7944.jpg

Take a look at Shars for the 4 jaw chuck. They have some with the threaded backplate for a lower combination price.

http://www.shars.com/products/toolh...lathe_chuck_category=Independent+Lathe+Chucks

@jbalp
I just wanted to say .....Welcome to the forum!
-brino

Welcome to H-M

The spindle belt on my Jet 1024 lathe was falling apart and needed to be replaced. I replaced with a link style belt, and I did see a noticeable drop in vibration. I also noticed the link belt does not take a set like a standard belt can if it's not been run in a while.

Hiya,

Welcome to the forum! I have a similar Grizzly mill - maybe a few years older than yours. I also replaced the belt with a link belt. After a few weeks the link belt started to get very distorted in shape and lost some efficiency of the mill. It started riding sideways in the pulleys. So went down to Napa Auto and found a heavy duty riding lawn mower belt of the correct size, and replaced the link belt. Works very well. Actually the original Grizzly belt is very similar to the ply and sizing of the riding lawnmower belts .

Just an alternative solution, if you need it.

Cheers
Glenn

Back