Newbie Intro....

SonofHarold - Metal Carver

Registered
Registered
Figure since I have much to learn this would be the best spot to introduce myself. I have been getting just a little experience here and there, on and off for about 10 years. Mostly off tho as it seems there was alway something else demanding my time and I have been unable to spend any consistent time learning. I find something strangely satisfying that I like about just turning down a piece of metal, and making chips. Hence the "Metal Carver" part of my screen name ( maybe should have been whittler ) The Son of Harold is homage to by Dad who was a machinist and tool maker in the aerospace industry. ( he went by RAY btw, I ve never known anyone with the name Harold who used it as there common first name) When he passed almost 15 years ago I inherited most of his tools and a very nice Gerstner that I think is nearly as old as I am.
Now I am retired and should have time and I have decided to make home machining one of my main hobbies. After making the move from Colorado to Western PA I am now in the process of setting up my shop. Just sold my HF 7x10 and am looking at maybe a G4000 ( tho everywhere I look they are backordered and not expected for months) or maybe a G0768. (which fits my space a little better actually)
Looked at the website for Precision Mathews the other day and learned he is just a few miles from my house and while most of his stuff would seriouly break my budget for now, I might have to visit one day. ( and drool)
For now I'll be lurking and reading a lot, but certain I'll have questions and the need for help as time goes on. This seems to be a good form and I'll offer my thanks and appreciation to all those who make it possible, I've already got a lot of good info here before deciding to join just today.

Hi Mr. Newb! :)
our site will be down tonight but not for long we hope
Mark

( he went by RAY btw, I ve never known anyone with the name Harold who used it as there common first name)

my grandpap had a machine shop/auto repair business from the "teens" til 1986 when he died. he went by smitty but his name was ray (raymon)
he had an employee named harold who worked for him 40 odd years - his first and only job. this was in millvale (pittsburgh)
Park Auto and Machine Shop. did general machine, auto machine and auto /truck repair. small shop by my standards. there is a transmission shop there now.
i have his boring bar, valve/seat machines. his lathe is still in the basement of his house - which was next door to the shop
it looked much bigger when i was young :) he did amazing stuff - made most all his tools inc a dividing head and a tool i have never heard of today which attached to the bridgeport and cut internal splines. i saw fixtures where he would get undersize crank bearings and bore to size, tools to cut the deck for o-rings ....

Welcome to Hobby Machinist!

Welcome, to the site
Cheers
Martin

Kind of know where millvale is... at least heard of it... having a heck of a time learning my way around the burgh, GPS is my new best driving buddy!

Welcome. You will find that this is the best forum on the planet for learning and asking questions. Great bunch of guys and gals with a wealth of knowledge.

Roy

Hello and welcome to this great forum.

Hello & Welcome! I still consider myself a newb. With your background, you should be a natural at this! On the other sites I found it easy to get a 100 negatives to a post. Here, 10 positives is about the norm.

Reactions: Z2V
Back