Newbie Intro....

Welcome to the best forum for Hobby Machinists, You'l find friendship and help from good honest folk here. As someone else said "The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask".

my grandpap had a machine shop/auto repair business from the "teens" til 1986 when he died. he went by smitty but his name was ray (raymon)
he had an employee named harold who worked for him 40 odd years - his first and only job. this was in millvale (pittsburgh)
Park Auto and Machine Shop. did general machine, auto machine and auto /truck repair. small shop by my standards. there is a transmission shop there now.
i have his boring bar, valve/seat machines. his lathe is still in the basement of his house - which was next door to the shop
it looked much bigger when i was young :) he did amazing stuff - made most all his tools inc a dividing head and a tool i have never heard of today which attached to the bridgeport and cut internal splines. i saw fixtures where he would get undersize crank bearings and bore to size, tools to cut the deck for o-rings ....
I'd have to guess that all those Harolds out there did not want to be teased about being "Hairy". That Bridgeport attachment would be called a slotting attachment or shaping attachment; I have one for my #2 Brown & Sharpe mill and also have a 6" Pratt & Whitney vertical shaper (slotter), and they are quite handy for splines, keyways, square and rectangular holes, most any shape that might be needed as an internal feature, combined with a rotary table, segments of circles may be shaped.

I'd have to guess that all those Harolds out there did not want to be teased about being "Hairy". That Bridgeport attachment would be called a slotting attachment or shaping attachment; I have one for my #2 Brown & Sharpe mill and also have a 6" Pratt & Whitney vertical shaper (slotter), and they are quite handy for splines, keyways, square and rectangular holes, most any shape that might be needed as an internal feature, combined with a rotary table, segments of circles may be shaped.

this "attachment" was attached to the quill and made a 90 degree turn. the cutter was vertical

this "attachment" was attached to the quill and made a 90 degree turn. the cutter was vertical
When you said that it was used to make internal splines I thought it must be the shaping attachment; it would take a pretty big hole to accommodate the 90 degree attachment.

welcome ask any questions somebody will answer bill

When you said that it was used to make internal splines I thought it must be the shaping attachment; it would take a pretty big hole to accommodate the 90 degree attachment.

i would agree. no idea what it was used for

Anyone else think it's time for a few pics?

30 years ago i asked for and got some pieces of equipment. that one never crossed my mind at the time as i was more interested in auto machine tools

Back