Newbie - Just Joined - Bought a New Mill

Spent 45 years writing software, some of it for really cool projects (camera controller for a Mars orbiter)

Very cool! I'm still working in software, but I've always liked making things and have been having a great time learning lathe and mill work. Even when I screw up, I learn something and figure it out eventually. That's one thing I like about this forum, we aren't so judgy about screwing up.

My wife is a bit bemused that I keep using the tools to make more tools, but it's still fun! :)

You guys are great. I have no idea what my first project will be but if I screw it up, at least I know I'll be in good company; and I'll have someone to help straighten me out.

I'm recently retired after 35 years developing software. Always liked to use my hands to create something more tangible on my time off but I'm relatively new to working with metal. Love this forum and the always helpful attitude of its members.

Your right! I purchased my first, and only, mill (a PM-940M VS CNC) at age 70 .... a bit over a year ago!

I bought a collet set and a clamping set with the mill. Other than that I'm good, at least for the moment. My Dad left me vises, end mills, reamers, taps, lathe cutting tools (up the ying-yang), v-blocks, parallels, calipers, micrometers, dial indicators, etc., etc., etc. I won't know everything that I have until I get it all laid out and sorted. I have a 6 drawer tool box, on top of a 4 drawer stand, sitting next to a 5-6 shelf 18"x48" shelving unit, all loaded with something to do with metal working.
Welcome to the forum.
I too am new to machining on a mill, the thing I am learning about is work holding and how important it is to figure out the best way to hold the material so it can be machined safely.
Another thing is planning the sequence of cuts to reduce the steps and give you a usable part rather than another learning opportunity.
I am having quite a few learning opportunities still :oops:and find it frustrating to mess up after the 2nd or 3rd go round but I know it will come with time.
It is good to practice on delrin or aluminum to start, and not too expensive if you mess up and have to scrap the parts.
Good luck.
David

Welcome to the forum. Dont let some of these guys fool you, lots of smart helpful people. Newbie myself!!!!

Another thing is planning the sequence of cuts to reduce the steps and give you a usable part rather than another learning opportunity.
I am having quite a few learning opportunities still :oops:and find it frustrating to mess up after the 2nd or 3rd go round but I know it will come with time.
Good luck.
David
If you figure all of that out, write a book and I'll buy the first copy!!

Wyo , my niece was " Miss Frontier Days " back in 96 . The whole family from the east spent 5 weeks out there . It was a pretty big deal . I remember the concerts but most especially the air show at the base .

We just drove around with no place to go . Estes Park , Rocky Mountain Nat Park , Yellowstone , Colorado Springs , Rushmor , Devils Tower , Crazy Horse , Jackson Hole , etc . I would LOVE to do a repeat of the trip . :)

Sorry I'm late to the post .

Back