Newbie Question About Buying a Bench Mill

On my grizzly mini mill the column tilts rather than just the head/spindle. This means I can't tilt the head so the cutter is at and angle, and lower the thead into the work. A mill with a spindle that can rotate (and move) independently of the Z axis is probably less limiting. One consideration.

I wouldn't get the Grizzly 0704. Yes they are popular with the cnc crowd and cheap, but the head has gears that break at inconvenient times
The PM 25 has a better belt drive
-Mark

I've had PM25 for 3 or 4 years, only used the 'tilting head' to tram the head, once. first time. Its still good. In reality, until I read this I'd forgotten it tilted. Its far easier to tip the part.

I don't think the tilting head is a major concern, and it does add an ability even if not a common need. My Clausing has a head that tilts, swings, and extends / retracts. I haven't had any issue with it moving without being asked, and it is pretty easy to get it back into position if I were to move it. Different system being a round ram / round column knee mill, but I would think the tilting head on the PM25 / G0704 is at least as stable. That said the lack of a tilting head would not cause me to take a machine out of consideration either, as there are ways to create tilt other than tilting the head.

Between the three I'd be leaning towards the PM25 myself. With smaller mills even an inch or two can make a difference and the PM25 gives you a bigger table and a little more travel in the Y and Z axis which are fairly limited on all of these smaller mills. The PM25 is a little bit cheaper than the 6500 and quite a bit cheaper than the 6550. The G0704 and PM25 are quite similar but the PM seems to get better reviews from the people who have them.

As it sounds like space is tight don't forget to factor in table travel side to side when figuring out the space you will need around the mill.
Thanks for the advice Aaron. I was initially considering the tilting head a disadvantage but was hoping to hear comments such as yours that it was not really an issue. And I am leaning toward the PM25, so glad to hear your advice there.

I've had PM25 for 3 or 4 years, only used the 'tilting head' to tram the head, once. first time. Its still good. In reality, until I read this I'd forgotten it tilted. Its far easier to tip the part.
That's great to hear. Thanks.

If you are more space driven than budget driven, you also might consider the PM727M or V and 728VT. These are similar in size to the PM25 but more room in the vertical axis and generally just better, but also more expensive.

Like many I have space issues, and ended up having a Clausing 8520 fall into my lap, pretty much the biggest mill I could have managed. I was looking at all of those on your list, as well as the 727 (728 wasn't available yet), the larger PM30 and some small knee mills. Height was my most critical concern with a mill, I'm in a basement with 6-1/2 foot ceilings and milling machines tend to be taller than wide.

I have been able to look over a PM25, and it was the major contender for me, when the Clausing came along. I was lucky enough to be mill shopping when somebody I know bought a bigger mill, and I was able to buy their old one.

I think the PM25 strikes a nice balance between size and cost, a lot more mill than a mini-mill, but not much more expensive.

Last edited:
@BKDavis You might want to drop into the Precision Matthews sub-forum here. There's quite a number of PM mill owners there, plus the Precision Matthews folks drop by from time to time.

If you are more space driven than budget driven, you also might consider the PM727M or V and 728VT. These are similar in size to the PM25 but more room in the vertical axis and generally just better, but also more expensive.

Like many I have space issues, and ended up having a Clausing 8520 fall into my lap, pretty much the biggest mill I could have managed. I was looking at all of those on your list, as well as the 727 (728 wasn't available yet), the larger PM30 and some small knee mills. Height was my most critical concern with a mill, I'm in a basement with 6-1/2 foot ceilings and milling machines tend to be taller than wide.

I have been able to look over a PM25, and it was the major contender for me, when the Clausing came along. I was lucky enough to be mill shopping when somebody I know bought a bigger mill, and I was able to buy their old one.

I think the PM25 strikes a nice balance between size and cost, a lot more mill than a mini-mill, but not much more expensive.
Thanks for the input. I had added the PM727V to my list for consideration and will take a look at the PM728VT.

Back