[4]

Newbie question about "Millport" lathe.

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Mauser lover

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Hello all! I'm totally new! And I need help...

I love my wife... She has been giving me a hard time about drooling over machine tools on the web, and today I told her that there was a decent size lathe available and close to us. Her reply astonished me. "You should go look at it"! Score!!!!

It is a 12x36 "Millport" lathe. I haven't got a clue what kind of quality they are, and the only thing I found online was that they are similar to the Jet 12x36. I also didn't find any information on the Jet model. So...

Weight?
Spindle bore? Seller said it was two inches. I'm guessing this isn't correct... But I'll probably go check it out anyway, hoping it is close.
Collet size? Probably not too terribly important...
Horsepower?
Voltage?
When were these produced?

What should I look for? Is it a total junker? (I know about wear on the ways, and teeth to the gears, but other than that... I'm pretty much at a loss.

ANY help is appreciated! If you have a link with all the information I'm looking for, shoot it over, I'd appreciate it, and the thread can die a quick death!

And finally, if this is the wrong place to put this request, please forgive me and feel free to move it (or notify a moderator to move it, etc.). Thanks for the help!

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
My very first lathe was a Millport. I couldn't find any info on it either. It was a 10" or 12" swing belt drive machine. 1 3/8 spindle bore. It came with a Royal 5C collet closer. Seems like it was made in Taiwan. It was a good starter lathe. The fit and finish was kind of rough. I remember that I had to rework something on it to allow it to fully engage the backgear. I sold it to a friend who used it for probably 10 yrs. He liked it a lot. I think it was a mid 70s model.

Mauser lover

Do you remember voltage/phase?

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Odds are heavily in your favor that it can be wired either 110 or 220, 50 or 60 Hz but it could be 3 phase also
Mark

Chuck K

Active User
Odds are heavily in your favor that it can be wired either 110 or 220, 50 or 60 Hz but it could be 3 phase also
Mark
Mark
It was single phase. I've been sitting here wracking my brain. I think the model was 1236P.

L

Lordbeezer

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Is the lathe you're looking at in lost creek Ky..? There's a Sheldon lathe in same area .little cheaper

Mauser lover

Um... yes. Where is the Sheldon? Is it on Craigslist?

If it is the one in Clinton, that one is quite a bit further, and three phase.

L

Lordbeezer

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Yes on Clinton..the mill port looks good as long as in checks out..looks like the tailstock is on shelf under lathe.good luck

Mauser lover

Yeah, I hope it turns out! There was a picture of it installed too.
Not a screaming deal, but good enough to go look at!

L

Lordbeezer

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
There's 3 phase guru's here that can walk you thru any questions about it..they have helped me several times

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Don't walk away from three phase machines. VFDs are pretty cheap and will get you going. Static and rotary phase converters are also options. Three phase motors also run smoother, are more robust, and with a VFD allow variable speed and lots of other options. I was once shy of three phase, but now I don't want anything else. Three phase machines are also often cheaper, because people think they cannot run them without three phase power at the panel. Not so! There is also plenty of help here on H-M to get you up to speed with three phase.

L

Lordbeezer

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
What Bob said....

Mauser lover

Okay, back to the Millport though...

Do I need to make sure he's got a pile of gears for thread pitches, or is that all internal in this machine?

The Millport really is closer! But I'll look into the three phase stuff soon...

Chuck K

Active User
If it's the same as the one I had, it has a qc gearbox. You shouldn't need any extra gears. I assumed that the spindle thread on mine was 2 1/4 - 8. My friend that bought it from me told me it was a metric threaded spindle. I never measured it to confirm that. It seemed strange to me. That machine wasn't capable of cutting metric threads without adding transposing gears. I'd be curious about the thread if you can check it.

Chuck K

Active User
I just pulled that up on CL. I don't know about machine prices in your area, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near 2k for that lathe.

Mauser lover

Okay, good to know... why?

It is the right size for me, and there really aren't that many machine tools in my area. I want something with that size hole through the spindle, or bigger. A new Grizzly of comparable size (no idea about quality, so let me know) is going to run $3500 by the time I get it delivered, with not much tooling.
And, I'm hoping it comes with a pile of tooling. We'll see.

Curious... what would you think would be a fair price if $2000 is too much? I might offer him that, and see what he says...

Chuck K

Active User
It looks like an 800.00 lathe to me, but I'm not a huge fan of asian machines and I'm not in KY. It might be a great lathe and do everything you need it to do. Kind of hard to judge from a picture.

Mauser lover

Well... I got it. I told him what you said about $800, but I wasn't able to talk him down that far!

He did have a good bit of tooling; in addition to the normal lathe tooling. This was his last machine tool, so he had a couple boxes of center drills, I think even a couple of end mills, a dial indicator (that says Made in China on it, so maybe from Hazard Fraught, but better than what I was expecting anyway).

It really does look like it has been used all of a dozen times. Auto shops really don't use machine tools that much, apparently! He said he was the second owner, and he only used it to make a couple of things. We'll see how it suffices for my uses!

So... how does one change the oil in a lathe? Maybe I'll start a new thread about...

"Got a lathe, now what?" Or maybe you all can link me to one that is already there...

Now... To run a 220 circuit...

Mauser lover

Okay, for anyone looking for information on a "Millport" lathe in the future...

Model 1236b is what mine is.
12" swing, about 36" center to center. Maybe could squeeze in 37".
Bore is massive! About 1 11/16! Something close to that. I don't know if someone bored it out aftermarket, but the collets fit fine as far as my novice eyes can tell. (I was happy about the bore size, expecting more like 1 3/8.) I might remember to tell ya'll when I measure it exactly. It is probably a metric measurement anyway.

It has a gearbox for threading/feed, and has powered crossfeed as well. It seems to my novice eyes that it is a kinda belt drive, kinda geared lathe. It has two positions for a belt, but a transmission for more variety. Is this normal? Maybe the best way to describe it is a high and low range via belt change, but gears for finer adjustment?

Motor can be wired for 110 or 220, it has a 1.5 horse on it, which seems to be original.

I'll say more stuff as I come up with it!

Chuck K

Active User
Must be a totally different machine than I had. Mine was belt drive. Can you post some pics? Congrats on your new lathe. Sometimes they're a lot better than they look in the pic.

L

Lordbeezer

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
What tooling came with lathe..as they say here ..no pictures it didn't happen..congratulations on your new lathe

Mauser lover

I'll try to figure out pictures soon...

I'm not quite sure about everything that came with it yet... But I'll post some pictures of what I don't know when I get a round tuit...

Mauser lover

Here it is...

That little steel thing in my hand... What is it? Covered in cosmoline, it fits into the headstock when the chuck is removed, and it fits a drill chuck that came with it. So... some sort of collet thingy? I don't see any way to fasten it into the headstock though...

And... it is a belt drive lathe. There are six belt positions, and a geared reducer thing that can be engaged (shown engaged, if anyone cares) to slow the headstock down in any given belt position... so 12 speeds, six belt positions.

What kind of oil do I put in this thing?

Now... to find the time to use it!

IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0058.JPG IMG_0048.JPG

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered
Looks very similar to my Grizzly G9249 but my lathe does not have a lever in the top left of the headstock. I am interested what this lever does.

Grizly_G9249_latest_picture_8069.jpg

The "little steel thing" is likely an MT5 - MT3 adapter. The spindle has MT5 taper but often we have MT3 tooling for the tailstock, so the adapter allows you to use the MT3 tooling in the headstock.

The only nuance is needing to remove the chuck and then for my 3 jaw chuck, dialing in the chuck when you mount it back on the lathe.

Mauser lover

Oh boy, do I have an easy answer for that!

The lever on the headstock is... I don't know yet...

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered
I wonder if it is a mechanical forward or reverse for the spindle. Just be careful if the spindle mount for the chuck is threaded like my lathe. Putting in reverse can make the chuck come loose, or off.

Mauser lover

Okay, I figured it out. I still don't have power to it, so keep in mind that I can't run it (and haven't run it since we unplugged it at the seller's shop).

It is forward/reverse for the powered feed. I assume you have a lever to do that somewhere on your machine too, just a different spot. I'm reading through your manual (slowly) to try to get the hang of stuff. The forward/reverse is on my on/off switch on the apron.

Do I put the adapter for the MT5/3 in the chuck to hold it immobile? Or does stuff like that just spin and we don't put a load on it?

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered
Interesting. My power feed forward/neutral/reverse is on the left side of my lathe. In my neutral position the power feed screw does not rotate.

Yes, the adapter should be held in place by the taper. Clean the inside of the spindle and the adapter before use then a light tap in place with a rubber/plastic mallet should hold as long as you do not get too much chatter.

Many drill chucks are held in drill press quills by the Morse Tape and normally do not come loose.

Charles Spencer

Active User
It spins just like the bore on the headstock does.

Chuck K

Active User
Kinda what I thought...it's belt drive with backgear. Should be a good lathe. It already looks better than it did in the
CL pic. Did you get chucks with it? Looks like you have an adapter plate mounted on the spindle.

[6]
[5] [7]