Newbie question about "Millport" lathe.

Don't sweat the wood working on the mill. I can't tell you how many rifle stocks I've roughed in on my mill. (Call be lazy...)

At the risk of sidetracking, I've seen the alphabet blocks on other build sites and they look really cool. Great gift item.

Out of curiosity, are you from over at the WG forum? If you are, you know what I'm talking about. If you don't have any idea what I'm talking about, I linked this thread from over there, so I was just curious.

Yes, the blocks turned out pretty well. I don't imagine that many block sets turn out with less than .010 inch tolerance, but these ones did! It isn't any harder to make them this precisely on a mill!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/ima...dege_001&hsimp=yhs-prodege_001&hspart=prodege

I think this is going to be my next woodworking project, but on the lathe. My dad used to make these on his shaper, I can't help but think it would be pretty simple on a lathe.

I'm still working on setting everything up. Working on getting it leveled still. I did get a 220v circuit wired in my shed/shop, and I do have my bench built, so it is usable, but I don't have it perfectly leveled just quite yet.

My Millport is exactly like a Jet. Heres a Manual I found for a jet. My spindle is an mt5
Hope this might be helpful for you.

Attachments

• 1024P (S) & 1236P (S).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
The spindle bore of mine is 1-3/8".

Out of curiosity, are you from over at the WG forum? If you are, you know what I'm talking about. If you don't have any idea what I'm talking about, I linked this thread from over there, so I was just curious.

I'm still working on setting everything up. Working on getting it leveled still. I did get a 220v circuit wired in my shed/shop, and I do have my bench built, so it is usable, but I don't have it perfectly leveled just quite yet.

Yep, it's me. My Southbend hasn't been leveled in 35 years and my 12 inch Atlas has been mounted on a plywood table top for longer than that. I've used both to turn down 2 inch 50 BMG blanks. (That was fun!) I do plan to level both one day, just haven't gotten around to it yet. (Do I win Procrastinator of the Year?)

No, for not leveling your lathe in 35 years, you definitely win "Penultimate Procrastinator of the Century" with a strong chance to win "Procrastinator of the Century".

My bench is wood, and in KY it's going to be moving around quite a bit, so I'm trying to get a way to easily adjust it fairly frequently. I do realize that most of the time it won't be a big deal, but I find satisfaction in knowing that I did absolutely EVERYTHING I could do to get stuff precise.

Of course, if I buy a piece of dirt big enough to pour a slab and put a shop on it, I might put off leveling the lathe until I get it on the slab.

Back