Newbie question about "Millport" lathe.

Mauser lover

Registered
Registered
Hello all! I'm totally new! And I need help...

I love my wife... She has been giving me a hard time about drooling over machine tools on the web, and today I told her that there was a decent size lathe available and close to us. Her reply astonished me. "You should go look at it"! Score!!!!

It is a 12x36 "Millport" lathe. I haven't got a clue what kind of quality they are, and the only thing I found online was that they are similar to the Jet 12x36. I also didn't find any information on the Jet model. So...

Weight?
Spindle bore? Seller said it was two inches. I'm guessing this isn't correct... But I'll probably go check it out anyway, hoping it is close.
Collet size? Probably not too terribly important...
Horsepower?
Voltage?
When were these produced?

What should I look for? Is it a total junker? (I know about wear on the ways, and teeth to the gears, but other than that... I'm pretty much at a loss.

ANY help is appreciated! If you have a link with all the information I'm looking for, shoot it over, I'd appreciate it, and the thread can die a quick death!

And finally, if this is the wrong place to put this request, please forgive me and feel free to move it (or notify a moderator to move it, etc.). Thanks for the help!

My very first lathe was a Millport. I couldn't find any info on it either. It was a 10" or 12" swing belt drive machine. 1 3/8 spindle bore. It came with a Royal 5C collet closer. Seems like it was made in Taiwan. It was a good starter lathe. The fit and finish was kind of rough. I remember that I had to rework something on it to allow it to fully engage the backgear. I sold it to a friend who used it for probably 10 yrs. He liked it a lot. I think it was a mid 70s model.

Odds are heavily in your favor that it can be wired either 110 or 220, 50 or 60 Hz but it could be 3 phase also
Mark

Odds are heavily in your favor that it can be wired either 110 or 220, 50 or 60 Hz but it could be 3 phase also
Mark
Mark
It was single phase. I've been sitting here wracking my brain. I think the model was 1236P.

Is the lathe you're looking at in lost creek Ky..? There's a Sheldon lathe in same area .little cheaper

Um... yes. Where is the Sheldon? Is it on Craigslist?

If it is the one in Clinton, that one is quite a bit further, and three phase.

Yes on Clinton..the mill port looks good as long as in checks out..looks like the tailstock is on shelf under lathe.good luck

Yeah, I hope it turns out! There was a picture of it installed too.
Not a screaming deal, but good enough to go look at!

There's 3 phase guru's here that can walk you thru any questions about it..they have helped me several times

Back