Newbie question about "Millport" lathe.

What tooling came with lathe..as they say here ..no pictures it didn't happen..congratulations on your new lathe

I'll try to figure out pictures soon...

I'm not quite sure about everything that came with it yet... But I'll post some pictures of what I don't know when I get a round tuit...

Here it is...

That little steel thing in my hand... What is it? Covered in cosmoline, it fits into the headstock when the chuck is removed, and it fits a drill chuck that came with it. So... some sort of collet thingy? I don't see any way to fasten it into the headstock though...

And... it is a belt drive lathe. There are six belt positions, and a geared reducer thing that can be engaged (shown engaged, if anyone cares) to slow the headstock down in any given belt position... so 12 speeds, six belt positions.

What kind of oil do I put in this thing?

Now... to find the time to use it!

IMG_0051.JPGIMG_0058.JPGIMG_0048.JPG

Looks very similar to my Grizzly G9249 but my lathe does not have a lever in the top left of the headstock. I am interested what this lever does.

Grizly_G9249_latest_picture_8069.jpg

The "little steel thing" is likely an MT5 - MT3 adapter. The spindle has MT5 taper but often we have MT3 tooling for the tailstock, so the adapter allows you to use the MT3 tooling in the headstock.

The only nuance is needing to remove the chuck and then for my 3 jaw chuck, dialing in the chuck when you mount it back on the lathe.

Oh boy, do I have an easy answer for that!

The lever on the headstock is... I don't know yet...

I wonder if it is a mechanical forward or reverse for the spindle. Just be careful if the spindle mount for the chuck is threaded like my lathe. Putting in reverse can make the chuck come loose, or off.

Okay, I figured it out. I still don't have power to it, so keep in mind that I can't run it (and haven't run it since we unplugged it at the seller's shop).

It is forward/reverse for the powered feed. I assume you have a lever to do that somewhere on your machine too, just a different spot. I'm reading through your manual (slowly) to try to get the hang of stuff. The forward/reverse is on my on/off switch on the apron.

Do I put the adapter for the MT5/3 in the chuck to hold it immobile? Or does stuff like that just spin and we don't put a load on it?

Interesting. My power feed forward/neutral/reverse is on the left side of my lathe. In my neutral position the power feed screw does not rotate.

Yes, the adapter should be held in place by the taper. Clean the inside of the spindle and the adapter before use then a light tap in place with a rubber/plastic mallet should hold as long as you do not get too much chatter.

Many drill chucks are held in drill press quills by the Morse Tape and normally do not come loose.

Kinda what I thought...it's belt drive with backgear. Should be a good lathe. It already looks better than it did in the
CL pic. Did you get chucks with it? Looks like you have an adapter plate mounted on the spindle.

Back