Newbie Question: G 704/759 Mill Base-to-table Dimension

As for cross-bracing we're on the same page.

Below is typical of what I do for quick-n-dirty "shop storage" and bench solutions. Can sometimes end up with convenient shelf space as well ;-)

For this, I'm thinking to add a couple of 2x6s front-to back closer to where the mill will actually sit since I plan to make the unit wider to accommodate drawers. For x-bracing front-to-back...I was going to inset 3/4" ply on the inside of the legs...it'll help xbrace and also serve for mounting the drawer runners. I've attached a paint storage-n-drawing drawer unit I did for him. Think of a version of that but attached to the base. My written description may not be too clear...I'll post pics later today or tomorrow when I'm done. Likelyto rain today so will have a shortened work-time than originally planned.

Jesse/Jon-LucIMG_0081.JPG IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0079.JPG

Nothing to add, I'm still enjoying the pics, and love the detail of that last one (the ship). :)

Got a bit more done today. The 4 horizontal side rails are dry-fitted and not glued yet...just screwed in place. The bottom front and back rails are loose and fitted into their slots. Glued up some side pieces on the end of them in preparation for drilling the holes for the leveling legs. Waiting to install the two front-to-back rails in the top (they're sitting up a bit) until the mill gets here. Can't find any dimensions on how wide the base is or bolt placement.

The small pieces of plywood are standins (have to go get more ply from the store) for photo purposes and will form an internal 3 sided "box" for xbracing. I'll install the drawer runners on the two side pieces of ply.

IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0087.JPG IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0096.JPG IMG_0097.JPG

The bench is about 98% done...need to add on the drawer handles and pick up a few hockey pucks for the feet to sit in.

Although you can't tell in the pics, the 2 deeper drawers have 1.5" thick bottoms to help support the weight of the rotary and the Glacern. Speaking of which the Glacern showed up very early in the week. Plus they were kind enough to give Jon-Luc an educational discount as he's currently in Architecture and Engineering. The other good news along that front, he just got his acceptance notification into the Art/Technology and Emerging Technologies and Communications (ATEC) at UT. That'll cause for interesting times around Thankgiving dinner...his uncle and aunt are Texas Aggies. Finally tracked down a dealer for a Vertex RT. Was getting concerned as a lot of pics I was seeing online at dealers that didn't look like photos of Vertex's I'd seen posted. Vertex in Taiwan pointed me in the right direction, so one of those will be winging its way here.

Anyways, to the pictures:

IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0102 - 2.JPG IMG_0104 - 2.JPG IMG_0103 - 2.JPGIMG_0103 - 2.JPG

Most all of the ply was leftovers from the pack-rat-bin. Had to buy a bit more, and sure enough, saw "Made in China" stamped on...splinters like mad. Thanks Home Despot!!

So's about 30 minutes after I finished installing the drawers, a bobtail shows up in front of the house. We offloaded a pallet into the back of one of the trucks and..well..the photos say the rest :) I'll figure out how to get the small pallet out from under it tomorrow.

IMG_0108-A.JPG IMG_0112-A.JPG IMG_0114-A.JPG

Just for grins, the box the grizzly base came in next to the bench...

IMG_0117-A.JPG

Figured out how to get it off the small shipping pallet it was bolted to. 10' 2x6 (one of the ramps in the previous picture) acting as a lever on top of the wood rack. Put the 2x6 on edge with it resting on the wood above one of the metal supports (you can see a maple board above two clamps stuck in the wood rack in the bottom picture) then used two sets of cam straps we used for holding large silicon mold together. Then we both got on step stools put the 2x6 on our shoulders and lifted with our legs while my wife pulled out the pallet and then turned the mill to rough alignment. After a little more pushing and pulling on the green base, avoiding using the table or column...we eventually moved it into place to mark for drilling bolt holes. Will have to make a trip to Home Despot to get those. Handles are mounted. Turned her on for the first time and the DRO as well. Now for the bolts and some elbow grease cleaning her up.

Jesse/Jon-Luc

IMG_0119-B.JPG IMG_0123-B.JPG

Back