Newbie Question: Power cross slide

Capt45

Former Member
I'm dangerously close to pulling the trigger on a PM 1022VS and was wondering what the heck I would use a power cross slide feature to accomplish. Any help would be appreciated.

There is not any single person on this Forum that can control the movement of the slide at a constant rate all the time. Some are real good at it but perfection is out of the question.

"Billy G"

I do understand Billy, thank you, I'll get the Lathe on order tomorrow.

I agree with Bill that a powered cross slide produces a more consistent finish when facing. Some folks also use it when parting.

I have a powered cross slide and don't use it much at all. I face and part manually and have no problems doing so.

While I do not use my lathe much, when I do, there is hardly a project that I do not use the feed for the cross-slide. Especially handy for parting.

OK, I'm sold. Anybody have anything bad to say about the PM 1022vs?

Not a bad thing but that line of lathe comes with a 3-stud/locking ring chuck mount. If it came with a D1 camlock spindle then your choice of chuck options would be much better. Also, no separate drive shaft for the carriage, ways not hardened/ground, and not sure if the spindle is hardened/ground. No idea if the gears are hardened/ground and no idea what the accuracy class is for the spindle bearings. This is an entry-level lathe more suited to the "I want to see if I like this machining stuff" category because you cannot upgrade it.

Compare to the 1127VF-LB, a much bigger bang for the buck. It has all the features a good lathe has, for not much more money.

I have to agree with Mikey, if you can swing it go with the larger lathe. We are good at spending your money here!!!
I was looking at the PM-1030 and ended up buying the 1236 with the cast iron base. I shot the budget clean out of the park but have no regret other than I could not afford the 1340 GT.
Get the most machine you can or can’t afford and accumulate the tooling as you go.

Back