Newbie Question: Power cross slide

I hear ya Tom; I'm coming off a bad experience with a Grizzly mini and I basically got my money back when I sold it, but it's very hard to come up with the bucks. Thanks for your comments.
Gary

The first time that you have to do a facing operation that lasts 45 minutes to an hour or more you will truly appreciate the cross feed.
Cranking a handle for hours grows old quickly.

34"aluminum disc faced to zero, slightly less then 1 hour per pass. Turn it on and go and do something useful for an hour until it is finished. This is just the faceplate to hold the actual part that is 304 stainless, the part took well over one hour to face as this lathe does not support CSS, if you do a good deal of facing and parting CSS is invaluable. This job was also limited by using a boring bar hung 10" out to span the removed gap, the boring bar is held upside down and the spindle run in reverse which is not a terribly rigid set up, one of the drawbacks with a gap bed lathe is that you can't run the carriage into the gap which often results in the tool post being far from the part, this is what vertical lathes are for.
i-b7VRFJq.jpg

i-X6Lr4qS.jpg

Back