Newbie signing in...

chris.trotter

Registered
Registered
Hey y'all, just wanted to say thanks for this forum! I've used it extensively over the last year or two to answer questions about getting started in a hobby machine shop. Last January I picked up a (very, very, very) old SB 9" (22Y), and just last night I picked up a mill (Sieg SX2P).

For what it's worth, I've wanted a mill for many many years. I had originally wanted a full-size knee mill, but after consideration (and prayer), I came to the realization that I had mentally fallen down the rabbit hole of 'the perfect solution or bust'. The following factors accompany a "real" mill:
- Providing 220v power in my garage and all that entails
- Finding a mill in 220v 3-phase (95% of them locally available are 575v)
- Providing a VFD/converter
- Budgeting 3-5k for something not a wreck
- Paying for moving costs
- Making space in my small garage
- Larger mill = larger tooling = higher costs

I decided that making chips today was better than waiting another 10 years for the above to happen (we are on a kinda tight budget for this sort of thing). It would be a 5-7k fee just to get in the door of a real mill - this little guy was $1300, and came with a bunch of tooling/supplies.

In-pieces mill-drill - so tiny!
Gotta be honest, lol, after looking at knee mills for 5 years, seeing this thing in person shocked me. But, for the tasks that I will be doing, it should be a perfect stepping stone!! Hope to use this to learn all the basics and have some fun. :D
Feb2018-Mill_is_home.JPG

Lathe being set in place
lathe-setup.JPG

Over the next year, I'm looking to learn basic milling operations, get some basic metrology tooling (scraping is in my future, the SB's cross-slide is rather sticky/loose), and start learning how to combine lathe and mill operations.

Looking forward to contributing and asking questions! :encourage:

Welcome to forum Chris. It sounds like you already know how helpful everyone is. Keep the pictures coming as you put your mill back together and make some chips.

Welcome to HM Chris from Oshawa.looks like we have another mini mill owner here.

Thanks guys, I'll start a build thread when that happens. Is this the correct forum for that kinda thing?

Need to get me some shim stock and fabricate a tramming arm thingy.

The first project will be the t-nut for my inbound Bostar AXA QTCP!! :D

Thanks guys, I'll start a build thread when that happens. Is this the correct forum for that kinda thing?

Need to get me some shim stock and fabricate a tramming arm thingy.

The first project will be the t-nut for my inbound Bostar AXA QTCP!! :D

Hi Chris, It is preferred that you post your build thread in the South Bend section for all to see. Thanks.

Congratulations with your machines and welcome to this very special group of people.

Welcome to the site , any questions we will try to answer , help is here. Good luck with a great rewarding hobby.

Welcome to the forum Chris! You've started out in a very respectable manner for this site, namely Lots of Pictures! :distracted:
Back abut 4 years ago, I picked up a used 10x22 lathe because I thought it would be something I might use. The fellow
that sold it to me loaded my van up with essentially everything in his garage shop that would fit. One of the items was
a little milling machine much like yours which I thought I'd put in the corner and maybe try do do something with after
awhile. Turns out that the mini mill has become my favorite tool and it would be hard not to have it. I was originally
thinking that a milling attachment for the lathe would do, but have come to really love the little critter. Keep us in the loop
as to what you're doing and don't be afraid to ask a stupid question, there ain't no such thing here , so ask away!

Back