Newbie to H-M forums with question about oil leaker Atlas mill

DarylJ

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,
Newbie here, this my first post to H-M forums. Having recently acquired an Atlas M1C mill that needs a bit of attention before putting it back into operation after an unknown period of inactivity, I found this site and am hoping to learn from the experts here as I become familiar with this little bench top mill. No photos of it have been taken yet, as it was just unloaded into my shop a couple days ago. But, will be taking pics soon though, and can post as necessary.

So, first on the agenda with this little guy was to lube where required, beginning with oil to the spindle bearings. Squirted some oil into the oilers, then spun the spindle manually. Seemed fine, turned smooth and freely. Then......after under a minute I see oil seeping out from the spindle bearing directly behind the arbor driver. The seeping continued until a small puddle collected on the horizontal flat section directly below and outboard of the bearing, behind the arbor driver. My conclusion is: I over-oiled the bearing. Otherwise, I shouldn’t be seeing this amount of leakage, correct? Is this leakage to be expected as normal if too much oil is squirted into the oilers?

There are dust covers on both sides of the spindle bearings. Can the dust cover found behind the arbor driver be removed and replaced with a standard grease/oil seal instead? If not a standard seal, perhaps a custom seal? I haven’t yet attempted to remove the arbor driver to access the dust cover, but I assume the dust cover can be pulled from the outboard side, simply by removing the arbor driver and then using a tool to remove the dust cover, correct? Of course, the inside dust covers would not be removed this way, but at this point, the oil leakage seems only to be collecting externally. OR, should I not be overly concerned about a little oil leakage and just accept the oil leakage as normal for this machine and move on to any other minor details needing attention on this mill? Glad to be hear, and eager to learn!

DarylJ

Welcome to the site. I'm not familiar with your machine and without pictures makes it harder. But, a lot of machines incorporate "total loss" lubrication systems, which means there are no seals to keep the oil from running right out of a lubrication point. My South Bend lathes, among other machines I have, use this system. At best, on some machines, will have felt wipers that help keep the oil from running out.

If your machine is this type, my suggestion would be to just get used to it... You can lay pigs or something else on the floor to help keep things clean. I gave up on that idea years ago and consider the oil spots on my work shop floor badges of honor! :p They are a good sign of proper lubrication! LOL

Ted

Not sure of the age of your machine and the type of spindle bearings you have.

My OLD Leblond has babbit bearings. Fill the oil cups just before running. Then a valve on the bottom to shut off when you are done for the day. Or forget and clean up the oil on the floor in the morning :)

Hi Daryl, that’s pretty much normal occurrence for these machines. I have an MF miller as well as a 618 lathe and a Craftsman of the same size. They all do that, just the way the spots are on these particular leopards.

A while back on this forum, maybe in the Atlas section, someone detailed their replacement of the dust covers with seals, but it was a fairly major undertaking if I recall correctly. Using a 20w oil or similar (as opposed to a light 10w) will slow down the seeping, but not stop it entirely. Eventually it will all end up underneath the machine where you wipe it up and start all over again.

-frank

Hi everyone,
Newbie here, this my first post to H-M forums. Having recently acquired an Atlas M1C mill that needs a bit of attention before putting it back into operation after an unknown period of inactivity, I found this site and am hoping to learn from the experts here as I become familiar with this little bench top mill. No photos of it have been taken yet, as it was just unloaded into my shop a couple days ago. But, will be taking pics soon though, and can post as necessary.

So, first on the agenda with this little guy was to lube where required, beginning with oil to the spindle bearings. Squirted some oil into the oilers, then spun the spindle manually. Seemed fine, turned smooth and freely. Then......after under a minute I see oil seeping out from the spindle bearing directly behind the arbor driver. The seeping continued until a small puddle collected on the horizontal flat section directly below and outboard of the bearing, behind the arbor driver. My conclusion is: I over-oiled the bearing. Otherwise, I shouldn’t be seeing this amount of leakage, correct? Is this leakage to be expected as normal if too much oil is squirted into the oilers?

There are dust covers on both sides of the spindle bearings. Can the dust cover found behind the arbor driver be removed and replaced with a standard grease/oil seal instead? If not a standard seal, perhaps a custom seal? I haven’t yet attempted to remove the arbor driver to access the dust cover, but I assume the dust cover can be pulled from the outboard side, simply by removing the arbor driver and then using a tool to remove the dust cover, correct? Of course, the inside dust covers would not be removed this way, but at this point, the oil leakage seems only to be collecting externally. OR, should I not be overly concerned about a little oil leakage and just accept the oil leakage as normal for this machine and move on to any other minor details needing attention on this mill? Glad to be hear, and eager to learn!

DarylJ
So, here are some photos taken of the M1C, now waiting in storage until all missing parts are rounded up, which are mostly small handles. Three arbors came with it, but one I question whether or not it will fit on this machine. It's the longer one, 1 1/4" diameter, but doesn't fit the arbor driver currently on this mill. Anyone care to guess what it might fit? The other two do fit the current arbor driver, and are 3/4" and 1 1/4". From the backside, as shown, the motor runs clockwise, not counter clockwise as it should. Haven't yet determined if it is reversible, but I didn't see anything on the tag indicating it was reversible, so will have to investigate that a bit further.

The M1C, according to the online manual, was offered concurrently with the MFC, with the latter having the feature of power feed. M1C is manual feed only. No change gears on it. From standpoint of having less to malfunction, this is good. But, power feed definitely would have it's plusses. At this point, I'm content with it having potential to be brought back to original operating condition fairly quickly, with only a couple of mostly cosmetic issues that can be addressed when some salvage lock handles show up. The motor pulley isn't original, and is only single groove. Did manage to locate the correct double groove pulley already, so that matter will be correct in a few days. Have some cutters that came in a box of spare parts for my lathe a few years back. Now they have a machine where they can call home, too.

Attachments

• DSCF1621.JPG
    DSCF1621.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • DSCF1622.JPG
    DSCF1622.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • DSCF1623.JPG
    DSCF1623.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • DSCF1624.JPG
    DSCF1624.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCF1625.JPG
    DSCF1625.JPG
  • DSCF1626.JPG
    DSCF1626.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • DSCF1628.JPG
    DSCF1628.JPG
Machine tools mostly do not use seals, but instead use laberinths or just a clearance closure, this is because fine chips eat up seals.

Welcome to H-M and the world of Old Iron. Nice miller. Personally I'd rig up some kind of X auto feed as it gets real old feeding by hand and most times it feeding in X.

I was not used to the idea of "total loss" oiling either. When I found my old Atlas 7b shaper poking out of a pile 5' tall of boxes of tool hoard it was covered in oily dust. I was skeptical it was going to be ok but the price was one I couldn't refuse so I took a chance. That crust totally preserved it and this close to the coast I don't believe it when somebody just says "aw it's just surface rust". Not here, rust destroys machine tools. But now I'm a believer and if it ain't drippin', it aint right. I have a drip pan under the body of the shaper so it doesn't end up on the floor. Just part of the character.

i found the old thread I was referring to earlier. Member cjtoombs is still very much active on the forum.

-frank

Thanks much for the welcome and for offering your thoughts on the oil leak concern. Glad to know it is a normal thing not to be concerned about. Anyone know what mill(s) the third arbor could be used on?

Looks like the long arbor could be modified to work by boring the center hole to match the dimension of the others, and use an end mill to deepen and widen the two drive slots. Does the knurled section slide off, or is it an integral part of the arbor? If it's integral, it would also need to be modified. All of these operations are very doable. Welcome to the forum

Back