Newbie with Emco Compact 8 /w Mill head

@Fermic, could I ask you to take these pics and further discussion over to our model tools thread? It will give a wider audience a chance to evaluate the tool and comment. I already know what I think but it would be interesting to see what the other guys see in this tool.

I can tell you now that we can make it better.

I can tell you now that we can make it better.
Thanks ! I have contact the person which will hopefully ship these models to me.

I have noticed that with a new belt attached to A and C pulleys, the lathe wont start without giving some hand spin. I figured out that there's a running cap in need of replacement but it might be the type of motor ( split phase permanent capacitor motor ) is too weak to start.

The roller seems to be loose and moving along the shaft ( item 8 in the image ), I have been noticing one youtuber who restored this lathe seems to have this roller well tight and co-planar.
During my research, I found this video about vibrations with the same lathe. I might have make some sleeve to remove the gap between 8th and 3th

Screenshot_20210304_111135.png

Some progress has been made with buying 4" diameter and 1" long round stock, 3" long 6061 alu stock and some plates for leveling my lathe.

I love to hear from others on my take with these plates. One bolt looks tilted ( not shown on any photos ) because I messed up the tapping angle.
The 4" round stock is for my 4-jaw stock but it looks too thick, Shall I cut it in half to save time and metal ?

1.jpg2.jpg

Thanks to the mill/drill head, I was able to remake the proper metric bolt for replacing the wrong standard bolt out of 12L14 steel. Tho, I messed up and cut the first and opposite side to be less than 10 mm ( measured to 9.80 mm ), otherwise the rest is 10.02 mm which is neat that that's my first milling operation without a machining vice ( used my quick change tool holder with the boring bar holder ).

7.jpg8.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 11
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 12
Well the new setup with these leveling plates wasn't good for me, at least 600 rpm the lathe can wobble even with two main bolts real tight to my bench. I might have resort to use shims with current metal plates directly on the bench with rubber pads between the bed and the plate.
The piece in the chuck is the in-progress 4-jaw back-plate

Not shown in pictures is the anti-backlash part of carriage nut broke off and the carriage gets tight at certain location, the apron's movement can be hard when it runs into some chips on ways even with new felt pads. The lead-screw nut might be busted, so I might have run a triangular file on it to clean up.

1.png
2.png

Back