Tienle

Registered
Registered
Hi,
I’m a newbie to the machinist hobbie and first time posting in this forum. I just try build a homemade lathe for cutting and polish small parts. So far it works. The problem is that the wooden box act like a guitar that amplify the noise. What should I do to damper the noise? Thanks in advance.

73EB6542-C6C4-409C-ABB6-E6FBAF1BC416.jpeg

Part of the "sound amplification" is that the box is, basically, hollow. Try filling up the unused space inside the box with some foam padding / packing material. make sure that you glue the foam to the wood otherwise the wood will continue to vibrate independent of the foam. If you need cooling for the electronics, you could mount a little (scrap / used) computer fan blowing air in.

I added a layer of foam pad between the motor and box. I also put a thin layer between the top and bottom. It sound a lot better now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

710E56BA-FC5E-4FA5-B39A-AF297122B8F5.jpeg

Tienle
Welcome to the group. I love your desk! Wow! And the microscope
(I have several) but what is that black thing on the right side of your desk?
I can’t see it too well. Thanks for pictures, we LOVE pictures.
What type things do you want to do with the lathe?

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Tienle
Welcome to the group. I love your desk! Wow! And the microscope
(I have several) but what is that black thing on the right side of your desk?
I can’t see it too well. Thanks for pictures, we LOVE pictures.
What type things do you want to do with the lathe?

CHuck the grumpy old guy
Hi Chuck,
Those black things are Seibert Wetzlar projection microscope. They are not popular but very high quality. I had plan to use the lathe for microscope restoration. But now I get carried away into the watch/clock madness. I love vintage watch/ pocket watch and had learn how to clean and adjust them but I wasn’t good at that. If I want to go back, I will try the mantel or skeleton clock. But my current project is to restore a brass hand crank rounding up tool #2 (I don’t know the maker).

CC8D5028-13B1-4158-9B88-1BC35D0262E8.png

Back