Newby intro and home machine shop advice

lewey

Registered
Registered
hi guys, new here to the site. i'm a ticketed machinist/millwright that has always had access to a full machine shop at work and now find myself at a gig without. guess its time to get a lathe and mill of my own. I'm thinking a gear driven lathe with probably 3-4' between centers and a bridgeport style mill. just looking for suggestions and experiences with different brands and places to look. going to need all sorts of tooling as well. thanks for any help, looking forward to joining the site.

Hi, If you're looking for used machines there are good deals on Kijiji and Craigslist periodically.

Welcome. There's lots of good used equipment out there. Hopefully you have a building and an easy way of loading and unloading your purchases. It's an addictive hobby.

Welcome,
The folks on this forum are great.

Lots of help and resources here.From finding best prices to completeDIY.
I received practical advice on inverter vfd install which was excellent.

Welcome to the Forum. Looking forward to seeing what you find.

Welcome to the fun house...

Let us know if you're interested in used or new equipment. Used equipment is most commonly found on Craigslist. A great many people at this site buy new equipment from Matt at Precision Matthews. Everything in his line-up is very well chosen with prices that meet an array of budgets.

We'd love to have more folks with trade experience on this site. Please post pics of the things you made. I outline my projects here and we encourage folks to do that as much as possible.

Take Care...

Ray C.

Hi and welcome to the site , were here to help . Good luck in your quest .

Back