Newby intro and home machine shop advice

To the Op Lewey, What brands do you favor? I too am working out of a home garage (20 x 20). It gets cramped in a hurry. My mill is bigger than a Bridgeport - you'll save some space there. I'd take up that space savings in a heartbeat with a real lathe. My benchtop at 27" center to center & 600lbs is only good for so little ;-) Then you gotta have a bandsaw, beltsander, grinders, welders, room to move stuff on a engine hoist. Oh & a air compressor. Have you looked at what they're doing with large grinders & shapers on YouTube! Plan your space well.

MarkM, Thanks for the heads up. I'm not in that LA on the west coast. I'm in the state of LA on the Gulf. I had my mill shipped from LA in CA. Cost $1000 for shipping & $1000 rental for a 5000lb forklift to receive the 4300lb mill. Wish I could do deals like that once a year! Just concentrating on getting items that rarely come available - then figuring how to pay for it all. I think it's just gonna be tooling for the foreseeable future for me. I do like looking at big ol Monarch lathes though!

hey Brockwood, i'm not too picky on brands. i've used many diff ones, some better than others but for a home shop on a budget, beggars can't be choosers. just needs to be a vertical mill like an excello or bridgeport. not the heaviest duty machines but the most versatile imo. bench top models are just too small and no good once you try and put a dividing head on. as for a lathe, 4-5ft centres would be nice. must be able to cut metric and standard threads, and gear driven. gotta be able to make some chips. taper attachment would be nice, but not a deal breaker. guess i'll just have to be patient. i know deals are out there. 4-5 years ago i basically got a whole shop for 10 grand from a guy retiring. even all his material too. unfortunately it was for a place i worked at, not myself lol.

I know that feeling Lewey. When I have 10K nothing available. When I'm strapped, deals galore. LOL

lewey, welcome to HM.

philip, from the Great Pacific NorthWET.

Brockwood 4300 lb mill ? Is it cnc , dose it run 10” face mills , got a pic , I’m guessing that’s not a hobby machine.

dlane, I'm a hobby guy - this is not my day job. My combination lathe / mill, at least as a mill wasn't up to my demands. So, I looked around & did some homework. Here 't is loading into my 2 car garage. Van Norman no24. With it's NMTB50 spindle, I have no doubt it could run a 10" face mill. I'm a car guy, a 6" face mill should be plenty. Let's get back to spending Lewey's money outfitting his garage!
20170327 02.jpg20160315 ROTARY TABLE 009.jpg

Back