Newest Addition!

I disassembled the power-feed unit to get a better idea of what all would be needed to rebuild the power feed.
Going through the parts better I noticed the main worm gear & worm drive gear are worn & damaged. Also, the top shaft that the upper pulley runs on is damaged.
View attachment 418645View attachment 418646
View attachment 418647View attachment 418648

I'll try to locate the parts needed to rebuild the power feed, but I imagine the worm gear is a bit pricey!
For now, I'm just figuring on cleaning it up and using it manually.

Doug
Couldn’t you make the gear?
Boston gear?

Couldn’t you make the gear?
No, I'm just a home hobbyist & I don't have the equipment needed to make a gear.

I may try to build up the damaged teeth with some bronze brazing rod & see how close I can get it reshaped with angle grinder.
I 've done that before with smaller gears with only a couple of teeth damaged!
The large worm gear has about 20 damaged teeth out of 80 and the small drive worm-gear is worn-down beyond repair.

Boston gear?
Yeah, Boston gear has a G1054RH & Martin has a W1280! They both cross reference to the Browning CWG1280-1 that's damaged.
Both the Boston & Martin are cast-iron like the Browning that's damaged.

Doug

It's been a while since I had the cover off, but the outside of the unit looks the same and the front panel also.
Aaron
I managed to find a picture of the inside of an older unit on Vintage Machinery's website!
Powermatic 1200 Power Downfeed .jpg

It looks to be the same set-up as my 1200HD.
As I figured the gear has information cast into it, unfortunately the area with the part# on it is hidden behind that front plate or on the backside of the gear.

Doug

Here's a side-by side pic. of the older style & mine.
Comparison .jpg

Appearance wise & camera angles the gears look different. :rolleyes:
However, judging by the relationship between the belt & large gear I think there the same size.

I also seen an old E-Bay listing for one of these gears from another older Powermatic 1200 & the OD. is the same size & the part# on the hub cross references with the Browning gear that is damaged on my unit.
s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600.jpg
Knowing that the gears were in fact cast-iron & not bronze, I feel confident in ordering one for my 1200HD.

Doug

Next thing to do is get it all rewired!
I need to replace the potentiometer for the factory VFD since the wire-lugs were broke off the original one. Hopefully the factory Baldor drive has a default setting, so I don't have to reprogram it.
Seeing I'm new to VFD'S, I wanted to get some more information on wiring a VFD up correctly.
I was a little confused on how the machine was originally wired up without a disconnect, it just had a 30-amp plug wired straight to the VFD. :rolleyes:

After doing some checking around, I found out that most VFD'S are wired like this since they have built in overload protection.
I also found a PDF copy of the owner's manual on-line that helped me understand how these VFD'S work a little better.

I wired the motor & power cord up like before and I temporally wired up a new potentiometer the fwd. rev. switch, and on/off switch.
It runs ok so the VFD seems to work fine, but the speed seems fairly slow!
Seeing that the original potentiometer was damaged & not working, I'm thinking that the previous owner may have just controlled the drill press from the VFD'S keypad?

I'm also going to be adding a digital tachometer to the drill press so once I get that installed, I'll get a better idea of the speeds it's running at.
I may need to re-set the VFD & possibly some settings.

Doug

Back