newly acquired rockwell 21-100 vertical milling machine.

eweissman

Registered
Registered
well, i just bought a rockwell 21-100 milling machine, still sitting in pieces in my basement. just got it home today.
i noticed something with the spindle / spindle pulley on the mill that seems slightly worrisome.

the spindle pulley wiggles slightly, has a little play. hard to tell if its the spindle pulley bearings or what without taking
the whole head apart. havent really had a chance to run the mill much, apart from when inspecting it at time of purchase.
could hear a bit of a rattle when it was running, which i assume could have been this pulley assembly. also, i notice that the
driven / spindle pulley seems to bind on the spindle brake shoe at one point in its rotation. from the parts diagram
in the widely available army manual for these machines, i can see that the spindle / driven pulley looks to have a bearing assembly
which is separate from the spindle bearings. wondering if anyone out there has had any similar experience with one of these mills
and maybe can give some insight into what might be going on there.

thanks
-eian

I also have a Rockwell vertical mill . . . it sounds like you just might have a bent spindle.

got it apart, spindle definitely not bent. the problem appears to be in the bearing assembly for the spindle pulley.
haven't gotten much of a response on this forum yet, but perhaps someone has dealt with this before?
first photo is of the base of the spindle pulley,

trying to figure out how to get the lucknut off of there so i can take the spindle pulley hub out of the pulley and access
the bearings and spindle brake and other insides. seems like maybe the spindle pulley bearings need work, or perhaps
there is something weird with the spindle brake. any advice appreciated.

spindle_pulley_hub_locknut.JPGpulley housing.JPG21-100 milling head exploded diagram.jpg

i put an image of the page from the army manual with the exploded diagram of the head in this post.

here's a link to a few other photos of my mill:
https://picasaweb.google.com/100633410173082846352/RockwellMillSpindle?authuser=0&feat=directlink

spindle_pulley_hub_locknut.JPG pulley housing.JPG 21-100 milling head exploded diagram.jpg

Back