Newly aquired VN 2SU horizontal mill

agfrvf

Registered
Registered
Just got my first real mill off the rollers and started cleaning. Came with arbor and supports. Would like to use it to cut splines and possibly find a vertical mill attachment.
20180105_174757_Film3.jpg

If you tilt your head down and look at the table of your horizontal mill, you will find yourself looking at a vertical mill, well, kinda'...

His machine isn't a duplex machine like a No. 12 or No. 22. It's just a horizontal milling machine.

Van Norman did make a "Heavy Duty Vertical Attachment" and a "Universal High Speed Attachment" which would work on a No. 2 and give you vertical milling capabilities.

The hunt begins , you rascuwe wabbit. There's a couple heads I saw on craigslist but forget where now.

Staring at this I think the simplest solution is to make an adapter on the overarm to a bridgeport type head.

Found a #40 Chain 2-1/2"Dp off the shelf part I can turn down to fit for $15 to my door. Just need to machine the bore and press in a oilite bearing.

That was quick.
Now to turn down and press in an oilite.
Must have worn down off ce20180405_132249.jpgnter. Chain still looks ok. Might make a chain stretch guage to check its health.

Sounds good to me , I think I'd do a couple oil catch grooves in the bronze bearing . Only needs a few thousandth grooves to hold oil in it. If the bearing fit is tight it won't let oil in till it heats up . Like scraping on the ways it's to hold oil .

Note these replacement gears are hardened. Its been a pain to cut using carbide. Seem the most the atlas will suffer is 0.040". I'm getting a mirror finish but this is tedious.

Back