Newly aquired VN 2SU horizontal mill

Is that roller chain drive for the table feed? My VN used a silent chain drive (that I found because it was making noise) that uses weird triangular-toothed sprockets.

That’s a beast of a machine!

Motor, belt, intermediate shaft, chain drive, 90* bevel gear set, fluted shaft, knee feeds.

I tried to post manual but it wouldn't take.

20180412_225633.jpg
Scraping marks look good. Bijur clogged in a bunch of places. Lead screw only comes out to the left but I need a 3 jaw to pull the right side stuff off.

Been trying to get the lead screw out since last posting. I may have to cut off dials on the right side. Tried penetrating lube, hot/cold, pullers, pickle forks, percussive maintenance ect.

Also the picture posted does not match the diagrams.

There were a few chips in bed as well as signs of water intrusion but no real damage. So I think I need to give all ways a good cleaning.

Got it off. It was staked on. Used heat cyling, liquid CO2, pickleforks and hammer, as well as a bearing puller. Did a little more damage than I'd like but there was no other way.

Upnext its removing table from knee. Have to figure out how to disconnect power feed

Well, I tore into it as far as I can go and have hope of reassembly. Scrubbed the saddle in mineral spirits, stoned all the surfaces. The table feed is completely different from my manual diagrams. I had to open up the front of the knee and remove the table shift selector shaft and the power feed drive shaft. I did not feel comfortable digging in deep enough to remove saddle feed screw. Durring reassembly I noticed I was missing several needle bearing rollers. Does anyone know where to get loose rollers?

Looks like she is getting the care she deserves!

Back