Newspaper Bin

ProfessorGuy

Registered
Registered
This is a box I made for recycling newspaper. It looks somewhat flimsy, made of pine boards and birch dowels, but it has lasted quite a while. The pine has simple box joints, the dowels are just glued in drilled holes.

recyclebox1.jpg recyclebox2.jpg

The fact it was built to hold newspapers should tell you that it is not from the 21st century. I made this in 1991:

recyclebox3.jpg

Today it is a kindling box, holding small hardwood splits for starting fires. We heat with cordwood, so a box of dry kindling is handy.

recyclebox1.jpg

recyclebox2.jpg

recyclebox3.jpg

recyclebox1.jpg

recyclebox2.jpg

recyclebox3.jpg

recyclebox1.jpg

recyclebox2.jpg

recyclebox3.jpg

recyclebox1.jpg

recyclebox2.jpg

recyclebox3.jpg

recyclebox1.jpg

recyclebox2.jpg

recyclebox3.jpg

I like it! It is more than adequate for the task, and in fact has a great aesthetic.

My design tendencies would have required a corner dowel; but I see that would interfere with the joint......this works!

It is so much better than a plastic bin from walmart....and will last(has lasted!) many times longer.

-brino

My design tendencies would have required a corner dowel but I see that would interfere with the joint
The problem with a corner dowel is not the joint. I made the 2 jointed boxes, and only then drilled the holes and inserted the dowels, so it would have been no problem. In fact, if I had made the holes in the corners deep into both pieces, the dowels would have served to prevent it from ever detaching.

But I grab the box with its heavy contents (newspaper is heavy) by the handles and the box invariably bangs against something (our house is tiny). Corner dowels would have long ago been destroyed, but these set-back 'protected' dowels have never been broken.

I could have used beefier dowels, but the reason I was using dowels instead of planks in the first place was to make the box more delicate and less visually intrusive. Beefy dowels would have defeated this purpose.

Back