Nice 618

Ha ha I just saw this thread and even though the pictures from the CL post are long gone, it sounds like my 618. It was indeed nicely restored but I wish he'd left the red out too.

You have a red 618?
Well let’s see it. Robust little lathes.
A long time ago you could order a red lathe from South Bend.
Although I’ve only seen photos of them.

You have a red 618?
Well let’s see it. Robust little lathes.
A long time ago you could order a red lathe from South Bend.
Although I’ve only seen photos of them.
No, I have what sounds like the lathe in the original post. I saw it on Craigslist and it was out in the inland empire. Unfortunately the listing is long gone so I cannot confirm but if I can figure out how to post a picture of it I will. The seller restored mine and painted it gray, but he anodized some of the gears and crank wheels reddish. I don't love that part but I like the machine.

Attachments

• 20220522_190412.jpg
    20220522_190412.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 25
Extra sprinkles for bolting it to the floor Vince , beautiful machine . Not feeling the red either , you sure that's anodize ?
My machine a (101.07301) as it sits today , except it's bolted to the floor . Also one day it will get painted a light gray .
IMG_0834 by mark westi, on Flickr

Extra sprinkles for bolting it to the floor Vince , beautiful machine . Not feeling the red either , you sure that's anodize ?
My machine a (101.07301) as it sits today , except it's bolted to the floor . Also one day it will get painted a light gray .
IMG_0834 by mark westi, on Flickr
Drilling that concrete to accept the bolts was a major job. I don't know if it's anodized or what process was used. I can do without it but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

I have never used a lathe of any kind until I got this and my metalworking use thus far has been limited to using it for only a few niche things that I had to figure out as I went. I bought it for making small nickel silver and aluminum fittings for bamboo fly rods and for work on the actual bamboo rod shafts using specialty cutters. So I'm not exactly a wannabe machinist but what I do is fun. I might get more interested in the metal work the more that I do.

Back