Nice small T&C Grinder in Chula Vista, CA

Just for perspective, I paid $600 for mine, still had the packing grease on it and well tooled. On the other hand I got a pretty good deal.

Dang, that a bit steep i'd say.
I would love to have it. Not that much.

Yes, pretty pricey for what it is, very limited travels, not much tooling.

A home shop guy could buy a lot of new cutting tools for $1700.

You make a good point as to the economy of getting an overly expensive grinder that has quite limited capabilities and instead, buying new cutting tools. The value, to me, in having a truly capable T&C grinder is all the other tasks that it can preform when well equipped with tooling and accessories, of which, this one is obviously not. In my shop, which I retired from, I had a dedicated end mill sharpener, (US built), and a capable #1 T/C grinder; the end mill sharpener got a lot of use, and was easily set up for ONLY that purpose, besides it, I had the Norton #1 and a KO Lee, which was an absolute PITA to set up and operate due to it's small size, it was like new, and had most of the tooling and accessories; I took the Norton home and left the PITA behind; it was much more capable than the one featured in this post, I think most folks would be disappointed with that machine, at any price.

A home shop guy could buy a lot of new cutting tools for $1700.

Yes, about 17 3/4" carbide end mills, or about the same number of long reach 1/2" carbide end mills. Another perspective on cost, I paid 2600 for my full size KO Lee T&C grinder and it came with index centers, air bearing, 3 DOF tool grinder, radius fixture and motorized and non motorized spin indexers, along with many other accessories. This was a great deal because they usually come bare of any tooling for that price. So while I think 1700 is a bit high, I think it will probably go for 1000 or more. Also, these grinders can be used as surface grinders and cylindrical grinders (within their limits) as well as making special tooling.

Think of all the HSS tooling that could be had at that price --- I have rarely in all my metal cutting career, needed to use carbide end mills, and I know how easily they can snap off!

Back