Nice Stuff in the Garbage

Good frond went to work for a large auto manufacture near in r&ad as a machinist. 2 no day their a engineer brought him a print of a hold down fixture, and told him to make a material list to build it.
My friend went out back and looked around in the scrap, built the fixture in 3 hrs and almost lost his job!!!
Thanks ron

Couldn't sneak off a photo.
They were also scraping a metal drawers type cabinet. You know those long short drawers that go the length of the cabinet. where you would keep drill bits and taps things like that. Perfect shape, would be an awesome addition to the garage. Oh there were two very large bronze bushings in there also.

Well I'll be!
Reading another post here and saw a pic of the box in a craigslist add that was posted. This is it.
00I0I_5DxwVFT0gPN_1200x900.jpg

Couldn't sneak off a photo.
They were also scraping a metal drawers type cabinet. You know those long short drawers that go the length of the cabinet. where you would keep drill bits and taps things like that. Perfect shape, would be an awesome addition to the garage. Oh there were two very large bronze bushings in there also.
you need to talk to someone about getting that stuff for your shop.

Have a friend that works at a tool rental shop. When it comes to chainsaws, the policy is to install a brand new chain each time the saw is rented to avoid arguments about the saw being sent out in dull condition. Works for me, I now have a life time supply of 91 driver chain.

A computer store bid on a job lot of computers, with the lot came a Doc's exam table. Beautifully finished old wood complete with stirrups. Nothing else to do with it but to haul it home. The rush hour traffic immensely enjoyed it with much honking of horn and "thumbs up." Wife would not come near the garage so the only thing to do was Flea bay it. Got $100 for about 15 minutes work.:clapping:

Last night I found four of five Snap On Torque Wrenches. Looks like they pulled off the knurled handles. What an absolute waste. For a company that spouts off about wind power and solar they sure do produce a lot of waste that could be of use to someone.

Last edited:
An unfortunate situation where a neighboring machine shop in the next suite over went bankrupt and closed over night. After the bank hauled out all the machines they essentially threw away everything with no perceived value. I did manage to intercept a vintage craftsman grinder with newer darex diamond wheels along with a nice cool mist setup and numerous kurt vise jaws before punching into work for the day. So many nice finds however got tossed into the trash trailers and hauled off. I could have spent a whole day digging in that pile.

An unfortunate situation where a neighboring machine shop in the next suite over went bankrupt and closed over night. After the bank hauled out all the machines they essentially threw away everything with no perceived value. I did manage to intercept a vintage craftsman grinder with newer darex diamond wheels along with a nice cool mist setup and numerous kurt vise jaws before punching into work for the day. So many nice finds however got tossed into the trash trailers and hauled off. I could have spent a whole day digging in that pile.

I would have asked for the day off since A. You would have gotten more value for your time scrounging kurt vises and such than a days pay and B. If they reaaally need you, you're still right there. :)

Back