Nice Vernier nice price.......I think?

The upper scale seems to say that the graduation is in 128ths of an inch, that is, 1/2 of a 64th of an inch, or almost 8 thousandths of an inch.

Ok let me just say that the imperial system sometimes confuses me and I work mainly with metric so I can't really answer your question

I like Moore and Wright tools, I have a few of them. They’re almost more common here than Starrett and definitely more common than B&S. I must admit though, I’ve never cottoned on to the fractional vernier scale in 128ths either — it always seems like too much math and I walk for my dial calipers instead. I’m sure I’d get used to it if I used it more. Yours look like they’re in great shape, that’s for sure.

-frank

In the inch (imperial) system, the main graduations on engineering tools is either inches and fractions of an inch, or thousandths of an inch; I have seen cheaply made instruments graduated in 128ths of an inch, but I have no idea what they would be used for, but since you work in the metric system, it really does not matter, and it appears that you got a nice looking precision tool for a good price.

The only reason that I can think of for a 128t inch graduation on a standard rule, would be to set dividers to 1/64th inch increments; still begs the question what use it would be on a slide caliper that does not have divider setting points.

I'm not familiar with that brand, where are they made? I've only got a 6+-" vernier caliper, made in the USSR! Don't use it because it is lot faster to use the digital and I make fewer mistakes. Nice looking tool. Do you have gage blocks to test see if it is dead on? The Metric scale would be fine, no idea what good 1/128th scale is.

Moore and Wright is Great Britain. They’ve been around for a long time but I think they’re most prevalent in the UK or (in the case of Canada) former colonies. We still have close links and it evidences itself in some of the tool and equipment availability. Up until the 1970’s there was still a Myford lathe dealer here. I rate the quality as good although head-to-head my Starrett mic “feels” nicer in the hand than the M&W, but that could easily just be me.

I do have a very sweet little precision square of theirs though that I absolutely love...

2C0E5C2F-9E67-44AA-82FF-F165256888D1.jpeg

-frank

Last edited:
Back