Nice Vernier nice price.......I think?

I think you got great tool at a great price. The 300mm capacity should come in handy! Yes, the inch scale is a bit odd. But as you said, you're metric.

When I saw the photo my first thought was it’s a Far East knock off made by someone who does not understand the imperial system used in engineering i. e. the decimal inch. However these tools are being marketed in the U.K. by the Bower Group, the owners of the M & W name — why is a mystery? Anyone wishing to work in imperial would IMO never purchase such a tool. The only other one with such a scale for imperial that I have seen is one “liberated” from a German factory by my Dad in WW2 — it hangs in my workshop, unused, as a momento

I have a European made verniers that are Metric with an Imperial vestige scale which expresses 128ths of and inch. I'm never sure if that is a 128s of some king's toe or 128this of 25.4mm. In either case I can't use it because my math deduction capabilities are overly taxed. I like the metric and if I need decimal inches, I just convert from metric. Having a lice big set of calipers can be quite handy. I'd get it.

Mitutoyo still makes a fractional inch caliper with graduations in 1/128”, this is from the current KBC catalogue

C348224C-6DAE-4E55-BCA8-45AD951F05FB.png

I have two vernier calipers, one a Mauser, the other unmarked, that have 1/128th scales in addition to the meteric scale. For someone who doesn't use the Imperial system, why would they want a scale reading in thousandths? Certainly, anyone working with wood has no use for thousandths.

redgrouse said:
When I saw the photo my first thought was it’s a Far East knock off
So to be clear, do you think it is authentic?

Yes it is authentic, they are for sale on M & W vendor sites in the UK --- I work in imperial using re decimal inch i.e. 1/10" or 1/1000" etc etc the reason being all my tools and machines are imperial and my "on board" computer was trained in imperial so much easier for me.

Would I purchase one ? No because it would not work well fo me, for metric it will be fine

Use the Metric if that is what you are comfortable with. Most engineering in Imperial would use 0.001" but your verynear is made for use with fractions on the Imperial side. For some work 1/32" or 1/64" would be used commonly. Drilling holes for tapping 1/64" is a usual measurement if using fractions.
As mentioned by RJSakowski no carpenter would use thousandths but they would use 1/64" as would a Cutler, Cobbler and probably a few other Trades that started long before Metrickery.
I think you got a good buy at the price.

I came across an old set of castings for a Stuart steam engine. The drawings were all in fractions, down to 1/64th if I remember. Also recall seeing other old drawings in fractions rather than decimals. Guess they'd save converting.
As a side note, bought a 12 inch ruler that was in 10ths, forget the smallest division. Thought it would be great in the machine shop. Hated it, if Im using a ruler its for rough measurements, as in cutting stock on the saw or marking a chalk line for the torch, fractions seam to make more sense then
Greg

Back