Nightimers

I am a night person so very rarely get to bed before 2am.
This usually means I dont get up till 10:30.
The problem is it gets dark around 6-7pm depending upon whether its summer or winter and everything get very very quiet which prevents the use of anything that makes a noise. No fair!

I've learned NOT to leave the large front door of my shop open during pleasant spring and fall nights, especially if I'm using the table saw or chop saw. Durn!

Here we are worried about making shop noise after the sun goes down....
Yet, anyone remember back when you'd replace your exhaust system with glass-packs and you get pulled over for 'excessive noise' within a few days?We have a slight grade in the road as it goes pass our house and some of the vehicles around here are atrocious. From rice burners to diesel pickups.
Well over 80-85dB.
I guess there are no longer restrictions on how loud your vehicle can be.

My neighbor wakes up early, maybe 5:30m, and leaves the diesel truck running for a very long time (seems like half an hour to me). But I can't sleep after wake up. It's noisy and doesn't help me as a late to bed person.
I own a diesel truck myself, but wouldn't do that. The neighbor has a business so that's clockwork for him.
In the winter, the truck is very rough, and I feel bad for the truck to be running cold for so long. Should have heater plugged in, and start and go after a minute.

Single-digit temps, I could understand that, get everything warmed up and lubed before rolling. But the last few decades?
He's just burning money in fuel and wear & tear, and annoying his neighbor(s).

Like the jack-asses around here running without any mufflers just pipes.
If I'm not mistaken you do want a bit of back pressure on a diesel.
One clown here finally blew up his nice powerstroke, I heard through the grapevine. And he'd spent over $7500 'tuning' the motor.
One of the last times I saw it, it was belching enough black smoke to fumigate the neighborhood.
More $$$$ than sense. . .

As a late nighter and late riser I hate those early birds who take their dogs for "walkies" around the 5:30 am mark and set off all the dogs in the neighborhood.
You only get restless sleep after that.
As we know who they are we take our dogs for walkies around midnight for revenge and go very very slowly past their houses.
Petty? Yep, but feels good.
We dont do it every night. (too lazy)

I've spent the last 17 years on night shift... I like it, it works out well for me. I have turned down day shift for 16 of those years...

Every year at shift-bid time, I consider day shift... but there are too many excuses not to leave night shift.

-Bear

I worked for a service company in the oil field, no rym nor reson when I went to work so never got into the habit of getting up in the morning, Been sort of retired for 19 years now, go to bed when I feel like it, never before midnight sometime 3. Get up when I feel like it, sometimes 8 sometimes 11.
The early bird may get the worm BUT the second mouse gets the cheese.

Greg

Between 1971 and 2000 I worked afternoons, (3 to 12 or so) all but 5 years. Loved every minute of it. I'd get to bed around 1, sleep till 8:30 and have a good day to do whatever.

I still sleep from about 12:30 to 8, have a good day to do what I want.

No project pictures, need software to edit pictures, that's not in the budget.

totally free, as powerful as photoshop

Back