Niles lathe

Finally got to the point I can start using the lathe. I need to bore out the I.D of this brake rotor to 6.125”. And the wheel hub to 6.1”.

Making a custom disk brake setup for a pair of 2.5 ton rockwell axles.

Attachments

• 5310C24D-F96C-418F-BF34-929CA62F427B.jpeg
    5310C24D-F96C-418F-BF34-929CA62F427B.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 9D1B8DC8-4C03-47B5-9B2E-8D9E84E9F840.jpeg
    9D1B8DC8-4C03-47B5-9B2E-8D9E84E9F840.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 8
I will add I flushed the oil system on the carriage and headstock then filled them with ISO 68 oil.

So far I’m pretty happy with the machine.

Items still left to address are,

•fabricating or sourcing a rapid traverse attachment that goes on the back of the carriage.

•I still need to straighten the feed screw on the tail stock. The previous owner bent it loading it on the trailer.
View attachment 10CB8EE4-DAD6-4034-8E03-6E7B971E1708.MOV

I Don't believe this!
I bought a Niles Lathe Back in Oct 25th 2017, after getting it home I went on line to find information on the Machine. Like you I couldn't find much of anything. I did find a add for one for sale and I saved the link. Mine is machine # 22127 It was originally a 34" swing lathe but someone Raised the Headstock it is now a 46" Swing X 192" between centers. I was told it was about 1965 but I cant find anything on Niles Lathes. So yesterday I found the link I saved and was looking at the pictures one was of the change gears. I wasn't sure how the gears went. I have the original gears but they used bigger gears because they raised the Headstock. I want to gear it so I can cut Metric Threads but haven't got the right gears to do it. I do another web search today and find this conversation on a Niles Lathe, so I join so I can see your attachments and pics. When I got on tonight I couldn't believe it. Here is the link I found back in 2017
Won't let me post link
When I saw your pic of the gearbox that needed fixing I realized it was the lathe on the trailer in the link
Small world, How have you made out with your lathe? Mine has a bunch of change gears to go on the front of the carriage, they must be for cutting a taper.
Have you found any information on Niles Lathes or sites
Thanks for any help you can provide
Blair Mullen

mdequipmentservices dot com/product/engine-lathe-the-niles-tool-works-30-x-168-central-oregon/

I haven’t found much information about Niles lathes. I’ve given up searching the web. I will just engineer and machine replacement parts as needed. I have fixed the bent shaft on the tail stock, so it’s operational. I’ve been machining these repeat parts with the Niles for months now. Still purring like a kitten.

After the bridge crane install project is done in the shop, I’m gonna have to tear into the carriage to see what’s going on with the threading dial. I’ll also see what I can come up with as far as the rapid traverse is concerned.

Good to hear from another Niles owner.

-John McGrady

Attachments

• IMG_5810.MP4
    4 MB
Back