No Collet pin in my step pulley Bridgeport

Make sure your drawbar and collets turn freely on each other, clean the threads with a tap and die if necessary. Also make sure that the drawbar is not bottoming out in the collets and other tools. If it does, shorten the drawbar or add a spacer washer to the drawbar. I get 1" of engagement with my drawbar, which is about the limit without starting to get tight in the collets. Some prefer less thread engagement for quicker tool changes. I would not use less that double the drawbar diameter thread engagement, which might stretch the threads. A drawbar needs to be made of good metal, and preferably hardened, or it will be a constant nuisance. When it is working correctly you should be able to screw the drawbar to the collet easily with your fingers, only using the wrench after all the slack is out.

Your probably gonna need new brake pads if it’s not working. Unless something is missing inside. The lever on the top has a cam on it which expands the brake pad which rides on the inside of the front step pulley. Just looking at parts breakdown it said that if brake is not working brake shoe needs replacing their are no adjustments that can be made. So you need pads.

OK, I've been meaning to get to know my BP a little better. It's time to break it down a bit.
I see H&W has a video on it.
Thank you!

Make sure your drawbar and collets turn freely on each other, clean the threads with a tap and die if necessary. Also make sure that the drawbar is not bottoming out in the collets and other tools. If it does, shorten the drawbar or add a spacer washer to the drawbar. I get 1" of engagement with my drawbar, which is about the limit without starting to get tight in the collets. Some prefer less thread engagement for quicker tool changes. I would not use less that double the drawbar diameter thread engagement, which might stretch the threads. A drawbar needs to be made of good metal, and preferably hardened, or it will be a constant nuisance. When it is working correctly you should be able to screw the drawbar to the collet easily with your fingers, only using the wrench after all the slack is out.

Will do Bob. Thank you!

Just for the record. I purchased a new draw bar from H&W Machine. All my spinning, holding issues went away. They do wear out.
I have not installed, replaced the collet pin in the R8 spindle yet. No need as far as I can see. Maybe when I tear it down.....
Thanks for the advice.

Back