No excuse not to make an er32 chuck for the lathe

I will try again with the DTI. This time I will try to use one of my tool post holders to hold the DTI. I think that it will fit in my small boring bar holder.

When I cut the taper my intuition suggests that the boring bar should be parallel to the line of travel of the compound. Or does it not matter. My plan is to cut around half of the taper and do a test fit with a collet to see how close I am to the correct taper. I will put a tight fit drill in the collet I use so that the collet doesn't flex/distort when I check the taper. Then make whatever adjustments appear to be necessary.

The chuck is done. Less than .001 run out. The dial indicator barely moved. That is better than my skill level by a long shot.

Sorry for the long delay in completing the chuck. When I went to cut the threads with the Norman style tool post holder that I had recently made I encountered a problem. No matter how tight I mounted the post to the compound the post and the base were moving when the tool touched the end of the chuck after the first two passes. As you can imagine this really messed up the thread. I had to fix that before I could finishing cutting the threads. The fix is in my tool post thread. When I got back to the chuck this afternoon I had to pick up the thread that I had already started. Probably was just plain old dumb luck but I was able to do that. To pick up the thread I placed the tip of the tool into the previously cut thread and then engaged the half nut. Backed out the tool and ran the lathe in reverse to clear the chuck. From here on it was just normal metric thread cutting.

Back