No gloves with lathe and mill....need citation

This argument goes on everyday in industrial workplaces. It’s really frustrating when I see newly minted pointy haired managers come in and think they know it all and make blanket rules. The gloves & guarding saga is a no win one. I saw a decade ago a new manager got responsibility for an R&D shop and put the cut proof Kevlar gloves at all times rule much to the dismay of the workers with 30 years experience. Wasn’t 6 months and there was an entanglement injury. A man was permanently and severely injured. So sad. The glove rule was changed. Now gloves at all times until starting machines. Manager moved to new role. Sad. Now much guarding, machines almost impossible to use and work is sent out…

in your home shops it’s you that must be responsible. You must make sure you are being safe and taking actions to minimize your exposure and risk. You cannot beat the machine. It will win. I personally think machine guarding on manual machines of most types makes them more dangerous than no guards unless you have no interaction at the moving bits. Exception is belts and open gears on really old stuff. These can be easily guarded and doesn’t present a hazard in most cases.

you most powerful safety device is right there under your hat.
stay safe !

I agree on the new drill press guards that are a spring loaded, hinged, semi-cylindrical in shape that surround the chuck. The only time I was injured using a machine tool was getting a blood blister from this type of drill press guard. The machine was off and after installing the drill and tightening the chuck, my hand got pinched as the guard slammed to the guard in place position. The injury was very minor, just enough to tick me off. My hands had an oil film and the smooth surface of the guard slipped out my other hand. Clearance is the other issue with these contraptions. Your depth of cut is limited because the guard protrudes to around 2 inches below the bottom of the drill chuck.

My understanding of OSHA machine guarding rules is that the guard cannot interfere with the normal operation of the machine. Don't misunderstand me, I'm all about a safe work environment. But the idea of making risk zero percent, is unrealistic. Freak accidents can and will happen. The best we can do is be vigilant. Do not work in the shop when you are tired or distracted by life's many problems. I see no reason to have your hand near a spinning fly cutter, circular saw blade, router bit, ...etc. I see no problem wearing 5mil nitrile gloves while cranking handwheels on a lathe or milling machine. The handwheels are far away from the spinning hand shredders. The biggest issue is using a file or emory on the lathe, which I do with bare hands, especially while working close to the spinning chuck. Of course proper methods need to be adhered to. Don't want to get your hand sucked in because you had the emory cloth wrapped around your fingers if the work grabs :oops:

As an example of "rules" for guarding. Guarding on moving mechanical components must have openings 1/4 inch or less if the moving parts are closer than 2 inches to the inside surface of the guarding. I had to adhere to this when designing guards at work. I had originally had a pattern of 3/8" holes, around 2.5 inches square, painted black on the safety orange to allow maintenance personnel to view the action without taking the guards off. I also used tamper proof fasteners to attach the guards. What I want to know is, how many adult humans have a finger that can protrude 1.5 inches through a 3/8" hole?
Lathes like clothing too.

Now gloves at all times until starting machines. Manager moved to new role. Sad. Now much guarding, machines almost impossible to use and work is sent out…

EHS mentioned something like this for us and was politely reminded any decision made above snd beyond osha regs could lead to personal liability to the person implementing it and also on the company if it were enforced.

This lead to much head scratching and consternation and was settled by the company making it official that it was the Maintenance/Toolmakers responsibility to figure out and employ the proper ppe for the job at hand.

If you read that right it says “do whatever you want as long as you don’t get hurt. If you do it’s on you.”, and we’re fine with that honestly.

Eyes/ears/boots are used by everyone as they should be, above that the only time full ppe is required is when we leave the shop to go out on the factory floor.

Then it’s gloves/sleeves/pants, etc.

I agree on the new drill press guards that are a spring loaded, hinged, semi-cylindrical in shape that surround the chuck. The only time I was injured using a machine tool was getting a blood blister from this type of drill press guard. The machine was off and after installing the drill and tightening the chuck, my hand got pinched as the guard slammed to the guard in place position. The injury was very minor, just enough to tick me off. My hands had an oil film and the smooth surface of the guard slipped out my other hand. Clearance is the other issue with these contraptions. Your depth of cut is limited because the guard protrudes to around 2 inches below the bottom of the drill chuck.

My understanding of OSHA machine guarding rules is that the guard cannot interfere with the normal operation of the machine. Don't misunderstand me, I'm all about a safe work environment. But the idea of making risk zero percent, is unrealistic. Freak accidents can and will happen. The best we can do is be vigilant. Do not work in the shop when you are tired or distracted by life's many problems. I see no reason to have your hand near a spinning fly cutter, circular saw blade, router bit, ...etc. I see no problem wearing 5mil nitrile gloves while cranking handwheels on a lathe or milling machine. The handwheels are far away from the spinning hand shredders. The biggest issue is using a file or emory on the lathe, which I do with bare hands, especially while working close to the spinning chuck. Of course proper methods need to be adhered to. Don't want to get your hand sucked in because you had the emory cloth wrapped around your fingers if the work grabs :oops:

As an example of "rules" for guarding. Guarding on moving mechanical components must have openings 1/4 inch or less if the moving parts are closer than 2 inches to the inside surface of the guarding. I had to adhere to this when designing guards at work. I had originally had a pattern of 3/8" holes, around 2.5 inches square, painted black on the safety orange to allow maintenance personnel to view the action without taking the guards off. I also used tamper proof fasteners to attach the guards. What I want to know is, how many adult humans have a finger that can protrude 1.5 inches through a 3/8" hole?
Brother Dave Garner use to say and accident ain't nuthin but premeditated carelessness. At the end of the day we are responsible for our own safety, we should use our brain and avoid doing things that will get us hurt. Take the time to evaluate what we are doing ahead of time, identify how we will do it and what the hazards are then plan it out to avoid problems and injuries.

Back