[4]

No More Machine Purchases (After This One)

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi Guys,
I wasn't planning on buying another lathe, but this one will be my last machine purchase, really.

As you recall, a few months ago, I purchased a 2J Bridgeport for $450 from a private high school in Wine Country, Sonoma. Today, I visited another ritzy private school that was selling this heavy 10 lathe with a taper attachment, drawbar, 5c collets, and all the tooling and bench for $700...

20190625_202513.jpg
20190625_202855.jpg

When I went to see this lathe, it was in a giant room full of woodworking machines. .

When I asked the employee about the history of this machine, all he could tell me was that it was given to the school 10 years ago by an alumni member who was moving outside of the country, and that the new priest woodworking teacher (Catholic boarding school) told the employee to get rid of the lathe since it was the only metalworking machine they had, and they did not need it

Anyways, as I gave the employee $200 tonight, and told him I'd get the rest to him by tomorrow, I mentioned to him how I wanted to share my workshop with low income folks who otherwise would not have the opportunity to work on such machines. In response to that bit of info, the employee then tells me that I can have the lathe for $500 instead :)

Just like with the guy who sold me the Bridgeport mill at a discount, I proclaimed to the employee, "I love you!!," and gave him a hug after hearing he'd cut the price for me.

Then, I asked him if I had to take the lathe immediately or not since I would need time to make room for it, and to find someone to transport it to my garage.

The employee then tells me to take my time paying him the rest of the payment, and that he'd have his 5 men help deliver the lathe to me for free :)

Even though I wasn't looking to buy a heavy 10 lathe (I felt there was no way I could ever afford one), I am super stoked about getting it. My 9A lathe's original owner made guns with the 9A, and that was part of my inspiration to want to make a gun on a lathe. I had previously read how the heavy 10's larger spindle bore was preferred amongst gunsmiths.

So, anyways, if any of you members are local to the Bay Area, and are interested on buying my South Bend 9A lathe (with QCGB), or my South Bend 9C lathe (no change gears or original countershaft), or my Benchmaster horizontal little mill for a deal of a price, please send me a private message. If I don't get any takers off this site, I'll then place an ad on craigslist. I will sell my stuff cheaper to you guys than with craigslist, fyi.

I think I am done with buying machines now ;-) There is nothing else I want or need (besides a metal shaper).

Thanks for reading my story.

Susan

Last edited:

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
How about focusing on actually USING them now, rather than hoarding and flipping them? As Dale Derry says "make something cool." Regularly...

kb58

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
...I mentioned to him how I wanted to share my workshop with low income folks who otherwise would not have the opportunity to work on such machines. In response to that bit of info, the employee then tells me that I can have the lathe for $500 instead :)

... that was part of my inspiration to want to make a gun on a lathe...
I'd have paid money to see his reaction to you telling him that last bit while giving him that hug.

Downunder Bob

Staff member
Hi Guys,
I wasn't planning on buying another lathe, but this one will be my last machine purchase, really.

As you recall, a few months ago, I purchased a 2J Bridgeport for $450 from a private high school in Wine Country, Sonoma. Today, I visited another ritzy private school that was selling this heavy 10 lathe with a taper attachment, drawbar, 5c collets, and all the tooling and bench for $700...

View attachment 297257
View attachment 297260

When I went to see this lathe, it was in a giant room full of woodworking machines. .

When I asked the employee about the history of this machine, all he could tell me was that it was given to the school 10 years ago by an alumni member who was moving outside of the country, and that the new priest woodworking teacher (Catholic boarding school) told the employee to get rid of the lathe since it was the only metalworking machine they had, and they did not need it

Anyways, as I gave the employee $200 tonight, and told him I'd get the rest to him by tomorrow, I mentioned to him how I wanted to share my workshop with low income folks who otherwise would not have the opportunity to work on such machines. In response to that bit of info, the employee then tells me that I can have the lathe for $500 instead :)

Just like with the guy who sold me the Bridgeport mill at a discount, I proclaimed to the employee, "I love you!!," and gave him a hug after hearing he'd cut the price for me.

Then, I asked him if I had to take the lathe immediately or not since I would need time to make room for it, and to find someone to transport it to my garage.

The employee then tells me to take my time paying him the rest of the payment, and that he'd have his 5 men help deliver the lathe to me for free :)

Even though I wasn't looking to buy a heavy 10 lathe (I felt there was no way I could ever afford one), I am super stoked about getting it. My 9A lathe's original owner made guns with the 9A, and that was part of my inspiration to want to make a gun on a lathe. I had previously read how the heavy 10's larger spindle bore was preferred amongst gunsmiths.

So, anyways, if any of you members are local to the Bay Area, and are interested on buying my South Bend 9A lathe (with QCGB), or my South Bend 9C lathe (no change gears or original countershaft), or my Benchmaster horizontal little mill for a deal of a price, please send me a private message. If I don't get any takers off this site, I'll then place an ad on craigslist. I will sell my stuff cheaper to you guys than with craigslist, fyi.

I think I am done with buying machines now ;-) There is nothing else I want or need (besides a metal shaper).

Thanks for reading my story.

Susan
So looks like the metal shaper will be next. You've got a nice buy there Susan. wish I had a small bridgeport to supplement my lathe, but they're rarer than hens teeth over here.

I'll just keep plodding along with my vertical spindle mill attachment for my lathe, it should do everything I'll need doing. The real question is when will it be operational. Probably another year. Too many other things to do. At least I'm getting ready to post a few pics

chips&more

Active User
Registered
You have climbed a very big hill to get to this point! Confucius say “more hills to come!”. You can do it!

RobertHaas

Registered
Susan, shoot me a PM. I am about 100 miles from you and I think I may be your huckleberry on getting that 9A out of your way.

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
How about focusing on actually USING them now, rather than hoarding and flipping them? As Dale Derry says "make something cool." Regularly...
Yes, I am actually eager to move onto actually using machines. I will post my progress, Bob

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Susan, shoot me a PM. I am about 100 miles from you and I think I may be your huckleberry on getting that 9A out of your way.
Robert, since Mark posted his interest first, I have to chat with him first about the 9A. If he doesn't take it, I'll PM you.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I always meant it too ! With the machines , tools , Cub Cadets etc . They just keep on a coming . :grin:
I told myself I wouldn't buy anymore knives cause I have way too many. I was doing good for a while but a new one just showed up in the mail today. :big grin:

And "triangles" too. My youngest brother would always tell me, "you're buying more triangles again!". That's what he calls inserts although I don't use triangle shaped ones much. I have a good supply of inserts for the ones I use the most so I certainly don't need to buy anymore but I can't stop looking for & buying them when I find them for cheap.

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
one last, one last time!

Why you want a shaper? Outmoded and obsolete, are they?

Titanium Knurler

Hi Guys,

Susan, your comment reminds me of a boat I saw the other day. It was named "Last Boat 7".

Love your new toy,
TK

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
FYI, eeler1 just got a shaper in the last week or two, gift from his son...
Guilty. I've no need for one, no room for any more machines, especially obsolete ones. Yet, there it is.

Similar reasons, plus I just enjoy watching them operate, like some people like watching steam engines or similar gadgets.

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I have 2 south bend heavy 10 lathe and they are great machines.... Great buy!

I told myself no more machine when I bought the Atlas Shaper but then I bought a KO LEE, a jump shear, an air compressor.... It just never stops untill you have no more room to walk....

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
Quote:
one last, one last time!

Why you want a shaper? Outmoded and obsolete, are they?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I have had a challange outstanding for many years; $100 to anyone that can show me how to cut an internal keyway 6 inches long without using an attachment like the "slotter" for a BP. So far, I have not had any takers. It can be done with a hacksaw and file, a BP with a slotter, a broach, and a shaper. There are other ways to make one, but not machined, just jerry rigged. Using the longitudinal feed with a lathe tool is basically a shaper.

A shaper can do almost anything you want. With it, a lathe, and a drill press. But must be set up for each cut. A CNC BP, once set up, can make 10,000 parts all the same. A shaper is slower than Christmas, but if you only need 1 part, not that much slower than a CNC machine once you figure in the programming time.

I admit I am not a machinist, but have worked with and around them all of my adult life. The 100 bux is no longer valid, I'm retired now. And 100 bux doesn't buy that much any more. But I would still like to know. There isn't much that is truely obsolete, when you look at included circumstances.

[5] [7]