No More Machine Purchases (After This One)

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi Guys,
I wasn't planning on buying another lathe, but this one will be my last machine purchase, really.

As you recall, a few months ago, I purchased a 2J Bridgeport for $450 from a private high school in Wine Country, Sonoma. Today, I visited another ritzy private school that was selling this heavy 10 lathe with a taper attachment, drawbar, 5c collets, and all the tooling and bench for $700...

20190625_202513.jpg
20190625_202855.jpg

When I went to see this lathe, it was in a giant room full of woodworking machines. .

When I asked the employee about the history of this machine, all he could tell me was that it was given to the school 10 years ago by an alumni member who was moving outside of the country, and that the new priest woodworking teacher (Catholic boarding school) told the employee to get rid of the lathe since it was the only metalworking machine they had, and they did not need it

Anyways, as I gave the employee $200 tonight, and told him I'd get the rest to him by tomorrow, I mentioned to him how I wanted to share my workshop with low income folks who otherwise would not have the opportunity to work on such machines. In response to that bit of info, the employee then tells me that I can have the lathe for $500 instead :)

Just like with the guy who sold me the Bridgeport mill at a discount, I proclaimed to the employee, "I love you!!," and gave him a hug after hearing he'd cut the price for me.

Then, I asked him if I had to take the lathe immediately or not since I would need time to make room for it, and to find someone to transport it to my garage.

The employee then tells me to take my time paying him the rest of the payment, and that he'd have his 5 men help deliver the lathe to me for free :)

Even though I wasn't looking to buy a heavy 10 lathe (I felt there was no way I could ever afford one), I am super stoked about getting it. My 9A lathe's original owner made guns with the 9A, and that was part of my inspiration to want to make a gun on a lathe. I had previously read how the heavy 10's larger spindle bore was preferred amongst gunsmiths.

So, anyways, if any of you members are local to the Bay Area, and are interested on buying my South Bend 9A lathe (with QCGB), or my South Bend 9C lathe (no change gears or original countershaft), or my Benchmaster horizontal little mill for a deal of a price, please send me a private message. If I don't get any takers off this site, I'll then place an ad on craigslist. I will sell my stuff cheaper to you guys than with craigslist, fyi.

I think I am done with buying machines now ;-) There is nothing else I want or need (besides a metal shaper).

Thanks for reading my story.

Susan

Last edited:
How about focusing on actually USING them now, rather than hoarding and flipping them? As Dale Derry says "make something cool." Regularly...

...I mentioned to him how I wanted to share my workshop with low income folks who otherwise would not have the opportunity to work on such machines. In response to that bit of info, the employee then tells me that I can have the lathe for $500 instead :)

... that was part of my inspiration to want to make a gun on a lathe...
I'd have paid money to see his reaction to you telling him that last bit while giving him that hug.

Hi Guys,
I wasn't planning on buying another lathe, but this one will be my last machine purchase, really.

As you recall, a few months ago, I purchased a 2J Bridgeport for $450 from a private high school in Wine Country, Sonoma. Today, I visited another ritzy private school that was selling this heavy 10 lathe with a taper attachment, drawbar, 5c collets, and all the tooling and bench for $700...

View attachment 297257
View attachment 297260

When I went to see this lathe, it was in a giant room full of woodworking machines. .

When I asked the employee about the history of this machine, all he could tell me was that it was given to the school 10 years ago by an alumni member who was moving outside of the country, and that the new priest woodworking teacher (Catholic boarding school) told the employee to get rid of the lathe since it was the only metalworking machine they had, and they did not need it

Anyways, as I gave the employee $200 tonight, and told him I'd get the rest to him by tomorrow, I mentioned to him how I wanted to share my workshop with low income folks who otherwise would not have the opportunity to work on such machines. In response to that bit of info, the employee then tells me that I can have the lathe for $500 instead :)

Just like with the guy who sold me the Bridgeport mill at a discount, I proclaimed to the employee, "I love you!!," and gave him a hug after hearing he'd cut the price for me.

Then, I asked him if I had to take the lathe immediately or not since I would need time to make room for it, and to find someone to transport it to my garage.

The employee then tells me to take my time paying him the rest of the payment, and that he'd have his 5 men help deliver the lathe to me for free :)

Even though I wasn't looking to buy a heavy 10 lathe (I felt there was no way I could ever afford one), I am super stoked about getting it. My 9A lathe's original owner made guns with the 9A, and that was part of my inspiration to want to make a gun on a lathe. I had previously read how the heavy 10's larger spindle bore was preferred amongst gunsmiths.

So, anyways, if any of you members are local to the Bay Area, and are interested on buying my South Bend 9A lathe (with QCGB), or my South Bend 9C lathe (no change gears or original countershaft), or my Benchmaster horizontal little mill for a deal of a price, please send me a private message. If I don't get any takers off this site, I'll then place an ad on craigslist. I will sell my stuff cheaper to you guys than with craigslist, fyi.

I think I am done with buying machines now ;-) There is nothing else I want or need (besides a metal shaper).

Thanks for reading my story.

Susan
So looks like the metal shaper will be next. You've got a nice buy there Susan. wish I had a small bridgeport to supplement my lathe, but they're rarer than hens teeth over here.

I'll just keep plodding along with my vertical spindle mill attachment for my lathe, it should do everything I'll need doing. The real question is when will it be operational. Probably another year. Too many other things to do. At least I'm getting ready to post a few pics

You have climbed a very big hill to get to this point! Confucius say “more hills to come!”. You can do it!

Susan you must have a fairy god-machine mother who finds these deals for you
How much for the 9A?
Mark

Susan, shoot me a PM. I am about 100 miles from you and I think I may be your huckleberry on getting that 9A out of your way.

Back