No More Machine Purchases (After This One)

FYI, eeler1 just got a shaper in the last week or two, gift from his son...

Guilty. I've no need for one, no room for any more machines, especially obsolete ones. Yet, there it is.

Similar reasons, plus I just enjoy watching them operate, like some people like watching steam engines or similar gadgets.

I have 2 south bend heavy 10 lathe and they are great machines.... Great buy!

I told myself no more machine when I bought the Atlas Shaper but then I bought a KO LEE, a jump shear, an air compressor.... It just never stops untill you have no more room to walk....

Quote:
one last, one last time!

Why you want a shaper? Outmoded and obsolete, are they?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I have had a challange outstanding for many years; $100 to anyone that can show me how to cut an internal keyway 6 inches long without using an attachment like the "slotter" for a BP. So far, I have not had any takers. It can be done with a hacksaw and file, a BP with a slotter, a broach, and a shaper. There are other ways to make one, but not machined, just jerry rigged. Using the longitudinal feed with a lathe tool is basically a shaper.

A shaper can do almost anything you want. With it, a lathe, and a drill press. But must be set up for each cut. A CNC BP, once set up, can make 10,000 parts all the same. A shaper is slower than Christmas, but if you only need 1 part, not that much slower than a CNC machine once you figure in the programming time.

I admit I am not a machinist, but have worked with and around them all of my adult life. The 100 bux is no longer valid, I'm retired now. And 100 bux doesn't buy that much any more. But I would still like to know. There isn't much that is truely obsolete, when you look at included circumstances.

Back