[4]

No one is into rc

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I've wondered why no RC guys are on here. I have seen some pretty nice machine work on the few RC trucks and cars that ive been around.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
That is consider toy grade abet a large toy it is 1:6 scale about 30" long. For now it is just getting decked out in flashing police lights. Both of my kids are in law enforcement. And this is to amuse my grandkids. Future plans are to build a hobby grade chasse and electronics.

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I am in to RC but only for flying sailplanes. Not a whole lot of machining involved. Lot's of glue though. ; )

-Ron

tq60

Brass
Registered
We did helicopters some time ago.

Payed with cricket since cheap.

Had a speed 40 on 20 size so did okay.

Made a fixture for making rotor blades.

Started work on collective head with ball bearing holders and it was too sensitive then got busy with other things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I used to be into RC cars & trucks when I was younger. Then I realized RC parts cost the same as performance parts for my real car so I stopped messing with RC in '94. I still have most of my stuff but of course it's old technology now. I sure do miss though.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
I still have a bunch of 'life' stuff to get out of the way presently, but one of my ideas for a project would be to build a small RC car or buggy from scratch (minus the body). Complete with fully articulated independent suspension front and rear. That would kill a bunch of free time... ;)

I have a big enough back yard now that I could make a killer off-road course for RCs back there.

woodchucker

Bronze
Registered
I am in to RC but only for flying sailplanes. Not a whole lot of machining involved. Lot's of glue though. ; )

-Ron
Same here, I used to be into Sailplanes as well. I competed heavily. When my son started speed skating I had to bail , for his interests. Do you compete?

SSage

Registered
I liked building the 1/8 scale nitro buggies as a young man, I still have a 4wd 1/8 siting around somewhere. Can't really get parts for my old models anymore. I now put the money into motorcycles and a fishing kayak. Its hard to find a place to run serious RC cars here, no tracks. I guess its mostly a teenage thing. I bought my last RC kit when I was around 23 years old, I just got a cheaper thunder tiger 4wd buggy kit, its mostly the build that fun for me. I put a new more powerful motor in it a few years ago and new wheels, new servos, new front differential and ran it a couple times. I got offered $400 for it 5 years ago, should have sold it in hindsight. The nice kits are like boats, you just pour money into them. I like my motorcycles better. I can ride them often or occasionally, go on long trips and camp out. I get more enjoyment out of other things, RC cars were fun before I had fun cars and bikes.

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
Same here, I used to be into Sailplanes as well. I competed heavily. When my son started speed skating I had to bail , for his interests. Do you compete?
I competed locally for a few years although that's not saying much as there was very little in my area. I had this thing for F3B type planes... I quit after we had kids as I didn't feel it was safe to construct planes in the house using composites (epoxy fumes) and CA fumes. I didn't mind exposing myself to it but the kids were another thing. Now the kids are out of the house and I'm working to get back to it.

-Ron

woodchucker

Bronze
Registered
I competed locally for a few years although that's not saying much as there was very little in my area. I had this thing for F3B type planes... I quit after we had kids as I didn't feel it was safe to construct planes in the house using composites (epoxy fumes) and CA fumes. I didn't mind exposing myself to it but the kids were another thing. Now the kids are out of the house and I'm working to get back to it.

-Ron
I flew F3B too. I would have to travel around the country to compete in that. We do not have a big calling here in the US, while the rest of the world flies F3B. We have a bigger calling for F3J it seems. I flew F3B between 97 I think and 2007.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
When I retire in a couple years. :idea: My goal is to build a radio controlled lawnmower So I can sit in the ac and mow the lawn.:laughing: With the they have come with the cordless mowers it should be feasible by then. :einstein:

woodchucker

Bronze
Registered
Why wait. Get it done now and enjoy your time. Better yet, put sensors in the ground and make it go to each sensor on it's own, and relax, and converse with us while your mower does the work... Flustered

DHarris

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
My little Mustang. 86.5 inch wingspan, 24 lbs wt., 6000 watt motor, Prop/pitch speed ~ 85 - 90 mph. (edit: for size reference in photo - as it's a little skewed from the photo angle - the prop on the plane is 24" diameter!)
p51.jpg

Last edited:

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I flew F3B too. I would have to travel around the country to compete in that. We do not have a big calling here in the US, while the rest of the world flies F3B. We have a bigger calling for F3J it seems. I flew F3B between 97 I think and 2007.
F3B is the best. :D I think I took a hiatus from it back in about '95. I was flying a Synergy 91 much like the Synergy 914 from RNR products http://www.rnrproducts.com/airframes/gliders/synergy914.htm with an Airtronics Vision radio system.

I kept all my gear, radios, winch, as well as what was left of the planes. I biffed the Synergy due to battery failure one day but it is repairable and WILL fly again. :encourage: I have to build a few more basic kits/planes to get my feet wet again though so I have amassed a number of old kits to bring to life.

Sorry for the rambling there ;)

-Ron

pgk

Registered
I've been into RC on and off for 0ver 20 years, here's one I did a couple of years ago, it wasn't quite done when I took that picture but it is now. It started life as a Losi5ive 1/5th scale 4x4, it now has a custom chassis motor was set back quite a bit to help in weight transfer, it is 2 wheel drive now and quite a challenge to control. LOL The motor is a 71 CC reed induction 25mm carb and on a dyno puts out around 21 hp made by ALX in Italy, the car weighs in at just under 50lb so power to weight ratio is pretty good. Basically you can wheelie on demand at any speed. One of the previous post mentioned that RC can get expensive, that would be correct! hahaha if my wife knew how much I had even in this motor wouldn't be a happy camper.

IMG_4452.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I've been into RC on and off for 0ver 20 years, here's one I did a couple of years ago, it wasn't quite done when I took that picture but it is now. It started life as a Losi5ive 1/5th scale 4x4, it now has a custom chassis motor was set back quite a bit to help in weight transfer, it is 2 wheel drive now and quite a challenge to control. LOL The motor is a 71 CC reed induction 25mm carb and on a dyno puts out around 21 hp made by ALX in Italy, the car weighs in at just under 50lb so power to weight ratio is pretty good. Basically you can wheelie on demand at any speed. One of the previous post mentioned that RC can get expensive, that would be correct! hahaha if my wife knew how much I had even in this motor wouldn't be a happy camper.
She just doesn't understand it's awesomeness then. :D

-Ron

Crank

Just realized that some people finally posted here. RC and machining can definitely go together. I'm currently restoring an 80 year old, steel hulled model of the USS California (BB-44) that was radio controlled. I machined a new brace to mount 4 independent motors, to replace the single monster electric motor and transmission. That and the tube radio controls, shed over 100+lbs out of the hull. I will have plenty to do still on the lathe and the mill as I start restoring the main decks. By the way, did I mention that she's 10ft long and will run over 400lbs once she is ballasted in the water :grin:. That and several other RC boat projects will be keeping my metal-working equipment busy.

Mark

woodchucker

Bronze
Registered
Just realized that some people finally posted here. RC and machining can definitely go together. I'm currently restoring an 80 year old, steel hulled model of the USS California (BB-44) that was radio controlled. I machined a new brace to mount 4 independent motors, to replace the single monster electric motor and transmission. That and the tube radio controls, shed over 100+lbs out of the hull. I will have plenty to do still on the lathe and the mill as I start restoring the main decks. By the way, did I mention that she's 10ft long and will run over 400lbs once she is ballasted in the water :grin:. That and several other RC boat projects will be keeping my metal-working equipment busy.

Mark
Where are the pics man? Where?

pgk

Registered
Sounds like a really cool project Mark. I don't have the faintest idea on how to operate a mill or a lathe and there have been so many times over the years that I needed a part that didn't exist and had to have it made by the local tool and die shop. My garage is filled with welders and so much other junk I mean stuff :) Please post up some pics when you get time..

Pete

pgk

Registered
My Gawd! I just caught the 400lb part of your post! Ya ought to get a couple of these ESC's and motors for it, you could probably pull a water skier! Hahahaha It's always easy spending someone else hard earned cash. :) https://www.mgm-controllers.com/race-boats

Crank

Most of my pics are small close-ups as reference for the rebuild and too many to upload here at work. I'm trying to send myself a static pic, but here is a YouTube I made for the test of the new drive system and rudder servo.

I have since done a ton of bodywork to the hull and painted it, but space in my garage has been a problem for starting on the decking AND the fact that I just swapped lathes, which has the "new" one being torn down to parade rest for an overhaul and freshening up. If you want to look, I also have two other videos of an RC hydrofoil, that I had to make a replacement foil without the benefit of an original.
Enjoy

Mark

Crank

pgk,
I have four 775 motors, each running through a BaneBots 4:1 planetary reduction gearbox. Port and starboard motors are on their own ESC's, so I can steer differentially. In the video, the turn was done without the use of the rudder. I never dared to take it up to full speed, I was afraid I could swamp the stern from the wake if I stopped too quickly. All of the other members in the RC boat club keep hassling me to get it in the water again, so at least I have constant persuasion to keep on track. I did manage to send myself one pic, here it is.
20161230_133012_HDR.jpg

I also have two Seki 1:10 scale Tiger tanks, one is updated with a modern ESC and running, the other was a basket case I save from Germany and is stripped waiting to be completely upgraded with twin motors and all new electronics. Here is a link to the thread about one of them.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11606924-start-investigation-seki-1-10-tiger-1-a.html

Mark

Last edited:

woodchucker

Bronze
Registered
too bad the photobucket links are dead, was not able to appreciate your tiger tank. Looks pretty cool in the pics though.

Crank

Woodchucker,
Not sure what's going on, the pictures are still there in the thread.

Mark

pgk

Registered
Wow Mark that is quite a project! Hope those saw horses are strong enough to hold that beast! lol And I don't blame you for being too cautious about sinking that boat, it would be a little harder to retrieve than your run of the mill 1/10th scale. :) Are you planning on using a upgraded radio or are you sticking with the original?
Pete

[5] [7]