No one is into rc

Just realized that some people finally posted here. RC and machining can definitely go together. I'm currently restoring an 80 year old, steel hulled model of the USS California (BB-44) that was radio controlled. I machined a new brace to mount 4 independent motors, to replace the single monster electric motor and transmission. That and the tube radio controls, shed over 100+lbs out of the hull. I will have plenty to do still on the lathe and the mill as I start restoring the main decks. By the way, did I mention that she's 10ft long and will run over 400lbs once she is ballasted in the water :grin:. That and several other RC boat projects will be keeping my metal-working equipment busy.

Mark

Just realized that some people finally posted here. RC and machining can definitely go together. I'm currently restoring an 80 year old, steel hulled model of the USS California (BB-44) that was radio controlled. I machined a new brace to mount 4 independent motors, to replace the single monster electric motor and transmission. That and the tube radio controls, shed over 100+lbs out of the hull. I will have plenty to do still on the lathe and the mill as I start restoring the main decks. By the way, did I mention that she's 10ft long and will run over 400lbs once she is ballasted in the water :grin:. That and several other RC boat projects will be keeping my metal-working equipment busy.

Mark
Where are the pics man? Where?

Sounds like a really cool project Mark. I don't have the faintest idea on how to operate a mill or a lathe and there have been so many times over the years that I needed a part that didn't exist and had to have it made by the local tool and die shop. My garage is filled with welders and so much other junk I mean stuff :) Please post up some pics when you get time..

Pete

My Gawd! I just caught the 400lb part of your post! Ya ought to get a couple of these ESC's and motors for it, you could probably pull a water skier! Hahahaha It's always easy spending someone else hard earned cash. :) https://www.mgm-controllers.com/race-boats

Most of my pics are small close-ups as reference for the rebuild and too many to upload here at work. I'm trying to send myself a static pic, but here is a YouTube I made for the test of the new drive system and rudder servo.

I have since done a ton of bodywork to the hull and painted it, but space in my garage has been a problem for starting on the decking AND the fact that I just swapped lathes, which has the "new" one being torn down to parade rest for an overhaul and freshening up. If you want to look, I also have two other videos of an RC hydrofoil, that I had to make a replacement foil without the benefit of an original.
Enjoy

Mark

pgk,
I have four 775 motors, each running through a BaneBots 4:1 planetary reduction gearbox. Port and starboard motors are on their own ESC's, so I can steer differentially. In the video, the turn was done without the use of the rudder. I never dared to take it up to full speed, I was afraid I could swamp the stern from the wake if I stopped too quickly. All of the other members in the RC boat club keep hassling me to get it in the water again, so at least I have constant persuasion to keep on track. I did manage to send myself one pic, here it is.
20161230_133012_HDR.jpg

I also have two Seki 1:10 scale Tiger tanks, one is updated with a modern ESC and running, the other was a basket case I save from Germany and is stripped waiting to be completely upgraded with twin motors and all new electronics. Here is a link to the thread about one of them.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11606924-start-investigation-seki-1-10-tiger-1-a.html

Mark

Last edited:
too bad the photobucket links are dead, was not able to appreciate your tiger tank. Looks pretty cool in the pics though.

Woodchucker,
Not sure what's going on, the pictures are still there in the thread.

Mark

Wow Mark that is quite a project! Hope those saw horses are strong enough to hold that beast! lol And I don't blame you for being too cautious about sinking that boat, it would be a little harder to retrieve than your run of the mill 1/10th scale. :) Are you planning on using a upgraded radio or are you sticking with the original?
Pete

Back