No one is into rc

I have two 1/5 scale cars and was competing nationally, my club car is an FG all alloy, the race car is an RS5, I can post a photo or two if anyone is interested. I found that a lathe is great especially when checking straightness of drive shafts etc,
Nick

What about me? Here is a link to the scratch built crawler undercarriage built for a NyLint Dragline.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/crawler-crane-undercarriage-project.35477/

And here is a link to a video I took from the Pike Steam Show.

Sone where in my files, I have a clip of a Nylint crane still on the truck chassis, made into a dragline, with no
alteration to the crane house. I have that crane. I'd like to do that also.
Also, I have a clip of one of those little Dopke four-wheeled cranes that a guy made into a R/C
dragline, again without any alteration to the body. Ture craftsmanship!!

Old thread but a goodie!

The FAA regulated me out of flying my tiny quadcopters and foam airplanes, and the local affiliated clubs don't allow the hand launch/belly landing little park planes that I like, because their precious runways are landing gear only or some such carp that goes along with the AMA rules. So I switched my RC emphasis back to cars when the drone scare and FAA laws got serious. These things are addictive. It's good therapy to burn a battery pack at the park after work, and I can use my machines to make and modify parts. Yeah, I'm a big kid.

IMAG1240.jpgIMAG1278.jpg

Your foamies and quad-copters would be very welcome at my club and other clubs around here. The new FAA regulations are not difficult to satisfy if you fly at an AMA chartered club field. Maybe you could search around for a better club. Sounds like yours is too fussy.

I am in to RC but only for flying sailplanes. Not a whole lot of machining involved. Lot's of glue though. ; )

-Ron
I believe there are people here that make there own RC airplane engines!

DOH! leave it to me to fire off a response before my first cup of coffee...
I see there have been a lot of responses about engines and more, also you said sailplanes (note to self, finish coffee first!).

Have you seen the video of the guys(s) that worked out a flight profile on ridges where they can reach extreme speeds with their sailplanes?

Myself, I have in my mind to make a large scale dreadnought for the river I'm on, and then use it to welcome party barges, canoes or paddle-boards.

Last edited:
I’ve been known to dabble:

E7A575B5-D6FB-48BF-A435-6BC454FBAB92.jpeg

Currently working on a 3d printed landrover wagon:

D6CC8617-E49F-4987-B46F-1C1526AC09DB.jpeg

Some of my other “rc’s” in various states of completion/repair:

30A7B964-C6F3-4A51-88A5-B7A179FFDFEF.jpeg

20A308C3-8E81-48EE-974D-F0F663609B9B.jpeg
couple “new bright’s” that will be rebuilt with “proper” rc parts and a …considerable….increase is speed potential.

I’ve also got an “old school” tonka dump truck I’m considered making and rc truck. Be kinda cool to be able to drive around the tonka truck I pushed around as a young ‘un.

Haven’t flown rc in many years, but this was my last flyer:

947ADC45-333F-4607-9DC6-E587469F87C1.jpeg
ThunderTiger Raptor 30 heli. Fully aerobatic. Lots of upgrades, at least for its time. Now its out of date by most standards. Still nitro, still FM. Not worth selling and I doubt I’ll ever rebuild it to modern standards (IE: digital control, electric conversion, etc), so it quietly sits where it is…

I also have a quad, but its a parrot beebop II, which I don’t really consider “flying“ because it will hang in the air with no input from me. It just feels like pushing a stick rather than actually flying it. You just point it and it goes. You have to mess up pretty good to crash it, unlike an rc heli or plane where you need to fly it 100% of the time or you crash….badly.

Quads have thier place, but I just find them kind of ”boring” because they do so much of the flying “skills” for you. YMMV…

I wonder, would slot cars also be considered “RC”, if taking rc to mean ”remote” controlled and not “radio” controlled:

60A5387D-422C-44B1-930A-CFFCC5BAA202.jpeg

7492E128-430F-4C43-A0A6-09A17587BAF8.jpeg
Work in progress, along with a scale 1/4 mile track….

Last edited:
pgk,
I have four 775 motors, each running through a BaneBots 4:1 planetary reduction gearbox. Port and starboard motors are on their own ESC's, so I can steer differentially......
I am very interested in making something like this! Do you have any suggestions on where to start and resources? For a long time I have wanted to make a semi-functional battleship, not just a static model. I have no boat modeling experience, I have been making mechanical mechanisms and years ago I messed around with gas powered RC planes.

Electric propulsion and RC gear in general is now light years ahead of where it was in the early 80's - so if feels like my desire would be a lot more achievable.
Anyhow, great model! thanks for bringing back to the front of my mind.

Then there is also the world of 1:14 trucks and construction equipment. Everything from kits, to converted toys, to scratch built. This photo is from a meet in Indiana a couple of years ago and gives an idea of all the kinds of equipment being operated by rc.

Attachments

• DSC_4155.JPG
    DSC_4155.JPG
    694 KB · Views: 11
Old thread but a goodie!

The FAA regulated me out of flying my tiny quadcopters and foam airplanes, and the local affiliated clubs don't allow the hand launch/belly landing little park planes that I like, because their precious runways are landing gear only or some such carp that goes along with the AMA rules. So I switched my RC emphasis back to cars when the drone scare and FAA laws got serious. These things are addictive. It's good therapy to burn a battery pack at the park after work, and I can use my machines to make and modify parts. Yeah, I'm a big kid.

View attachment 422765View attachment 422766
My wife and kids say I'm the biggest kid in the neighborhood!!!

Back