No Slow Speed for Bridgeport Mill

RossB

Registered
Registered
The low speeds on my J-hesd haven't worked in 25 years. I've never really minded because I really didn't have anything to run slowly. However, i feel like it's time to get to the bottom of it. I feel like I'm following the instructions for shifting from high to low, but all i get are ugly grinding noises when I turn it on in low. I remember the machinist telling me that something was wrong with it 25 years ago. Are there any common failures of this sort with this machine?

20200508_174150.jpg

Did you shift the transmission handle to low speed? It's that knob on the side that says IN/OUT

Sometimes the ring with the ramped slot on the top of the head gets cracked or worn Look there for starters

Sometimes the ring with the ramped slot on the top of the head gets cracked or worn Look there for starters
That is exactly what just this moment happened to mine. Was working but took it apart for the brake shoes and went back and not back gear, enough disturbance and wear to not work I had to shim under the ring .025 in. to get it to totally disengage the cogs. very old and worn machine but I love it. PLUS I can see a crack that is not all the way through the metal.

Attachments

• 20200509_101640.jpg
    20200509_101640.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
Back