No Spill Oil Can

barnett

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is a project i've wanted to make for a while, I was watching some of Tubalcain's videos. He made one from a tuna can ( or cat food I dont remember exactly) and heres my take on a no spill oil can. I started with a 2 1/2" x 1 1/2 copper reducer, a 1 1/2 x 5/8 fitting reducer and some pipe. I split a piece of pipe and flattened it out to make the bottom20160511_103943.jpg
then I sweat a piece of 5/8 in the fitting reducer,
20160511_104234.jpg
then i soldered the bottom on
20160511_165317.jpg
then inverted the smaller reducer into the large reducer
20160511_165151.jpg
heres the finished oil can.
20160511_165259.jpg
I know its a little overkill, but I like it !!

You would have to knock over the work bench to make that one spill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome idea barnett.
I like it.
I have a bunch of copper fittings I picked up at an auction.
Some are pretty large.
Was wondering what I was going to do with them. Now I know.

I use a spillmate, but there's just something about a shop made one. Bout the only disadvantage I see with yours as opposed to the spillmate is that the spillmate has a screw on lid that allows the inevitable needed chip cleanout. At least if you keep yours in harms way like I do mine lol.

That sure does look nice, now I have another item to put on the to do wish list.

I was just searching for a project like this and really like how this copper oil can turned out. However... am I missing something here?? These 2.5" to 1.5" reducers are insanely expensive! My local plumbing supply house wants 50-60 dollars for these things. A 2" to 1.5" reducer can be had for $13 at Lowes. What's up with 2.5" prices??

[EDIT]- nevermind. I found them for $17 here: http://www.supplyhouse.com/Elkhart-30802-2-1-2-x-1-1-2-Copper-Coupling

Last edited:
Well mine where leftover from a large plumbing job at the local hospital. There were about to get tossed.

Sent from my A462C using Tapatalk

Back