No surface grinder

Still learning

Registered
Registered
Hi i am new the world of forums and not sure what to say, any way i had a home job to make a gib for my compound for the mini lathe at work when i showed a friend the job he suggested that i post it online with you guys. I have a video but, how does one post videos

i used a 160 grit wheel to do the job, came out good enough for a beginner

vlcsnap.png

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. You'll find many seasoned veterans here who are willing to share loads of information and expertise. You'll also find many rookies and hobbyists, like myself, who benefit from their knowledge.

Hope you're able to load a video. If I'm looking at your post correctly, it looks like you've converted a lathe into a surface grinder. Is that correct? If so, how accurate is it?

Regards,
Terry

It looks more like a horizontal mill with a grinding wheel added to it. That might work, the issue I see is that grit will get into the ways and wear out the machine, and that the speed of a mill spindle might be way too slow. But the big and immediate issue is the lack of a wheel guard. If that wheel explodes (and they do that sometimes, more often with a newbie using the machine), it could be catastrophic to your health. Do everything you can to keep from hurting yourself!

Reactions: tjb
You hundred percent right spent a good 2 hours cleaning the machine. I was aware of the wheel breaking thought the slow speed and minimal grind I should be safe

Welcome to the site. You'll find many seasoned veterans here who are willing to share loads of information and expertise. You'll also find many rookies and hobbyists, like myself, who benefit from their knowledge.

Hope you're able to load a video. If I'm looking at your post correctly, it looks like you've converted a lathe into a surface grinder. Is that correct? If so, how accurate is it?

Regards,
Terry
I mounted it to my mill

Welcome Still Learning .Hi guys,I think I am the friend he is talking about. Although you are still new to the machining world,I am glad you are trying and we will help where we can. Glad to see another SA representative on here.

Michael

Back