Nogaflex Indicator Holders

ronboult

Active User
Registered
On the excellent advice of Will ( Darkzero) I recently purchased two Nogaflex Indicator Holders. In case you can't guess Will loves his Nogas.

The first is a Noga NF 1022 which has a stem for inserting into a collet in the Mill Spindle and is used for centering work under the Mill Spindle. The articulated arm has a fine adjust at the end of the arm (just before the indicator hole and dovetails) which seems appropriate for this type of arm. My main use will be for centering my Rotary Table under the Mill Spindle.

The second is a Noga NF 10433 which has a magnetic base with fine adjustment on the base and a short arm with hole and dovetail for holding both Dial Indicators and Dial Test Indicators. I use this on both the Mill and the Lathe. On the Mill typical uses are aligning the Vice etc and on the lathe it will be mounted on the Saddle for aligning items in the 4 jaw chuck and also for checking the alignment of my new lathe.

Both these Nogas are in the smaller sizes since both my Mill and my current Lathe ( Sieg SX3 an SC4) are on the smaller size. There are larger versions available for larger machines. They are readily available from USA suppliers and I imported mine to Australia from All Industrial Supply

The first photo shows a demo of aligning an object directly below the centre of the spindle. Note the fine adjustment at the bottom of the arm just above the indicator. Makes getting just the right amount of contact with the work a breeze. When alignment is correct rotating the spindle doesn't cause the indicator needle to move. Even with the small size Noga arm the range of adjustment is much larger than required for my size mill.

This photo and the next also show the Tormach quick change ER20 Collets that I routinely now use on my mill. My mill has a R8 spindle with a R8 3/4" collet which is the standard for Tormach tooling and changing tools with the Tormach Tool holders is a doddle. I suggest you check them out on the Tormach Site.

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

The next two photos show the Magnetic base model being used to align the Mill Vice with the x axis. The Indicator is held stationary fixed to the column and the vice is moved in the x axis to check the alignment.

IMG_2606.jpg

In this case the fine adjustment is on the top of the magnetic base which allows adjustment without jiggling the indicator. There is no fine adjustment at the end of the arm, just the clamp for the indicator.
IMG_2609.jpg

Are Nogas excellent tools YES

The fine adjustment screws have just the right degree of fine travel and sensitivity while the arm locking mechanism is smooth and secure. I originally had a cheap Asian copy of a Noga and while cheap it is not in the same league. It has been consigned to the bin. Are there other brands of similar quality indicator holders? I don't know. I have a Mitutoyo traditional type magnetic base and arm and it is no where near the quality or usability.

It is not often that one can find such quality tools at a reasonable price. The Nogas are a fine piece of kit and I would not hesitate to buy them again, buy more or recommend them.
Ron

IMG_2603.jpg

Very nice Ron, I'm glad you like them. Well I never heard of one person that didn't like them. I'll work on gathering up some photos of mine & will post here. My post might get long though! :big grin:

That's it ,Darkzero.rub it in. You could loan me one of those many nogas you have, for about 20 years:laughing:

image.jpg image.jpg Just a few different mounts I've made for the noga's. The dovetail on the back of the starret is my go to indicator The 3/8 rod with the 1/4 starret clamp is very versatile

Wow, why so many Noga's Will? Did you buy them all new?
Very nice collection. I'm getting one with an Interapid and a plunger
style indicator.

Hey Ron!
Great pictures, and it's always nice to see a ringing endorsement from someone happy with a tooling purchase.

Thanks for sharing.
-brino

Darkzero; my wife thinks that _I_ obsess about tools, I need to show her this......

Will I fully understand your addiction to fine tools & machinery. It is an incurable disease so you can look forward to lots more tools for the rest of your life.

Some side issues. Have you investigated the Tormach tooling system. I know it is intended for a CNC mill but it also works great on a manual machine.
Also have a look at http://www.ctctools.biz/quick-change-floating-tap-chuck-set-m3-m12-with-r8-shank-l42/. They seem interesting. I am going to buy a set to trial. Having trouble finding a 3/4" to B16 chuck arbor to adapt them to my Tormach system. So far only seems to be available from RDG Tools at exorbitant shipping.
Ron

Back