Noise in 12", normal?

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been using my 12" Logan for a while, mostly at 300 rpm and less. The other day I had need to turn the vs drive up to 1000 rpm. There was some 'grinding' noise coming from the head stock. It was proportional to the speed if that makes sense. It sounded like gears meshing, like what I hear with the motor and phase converter off when I turn it by hand. I've heard that Logan lathes are known to have some noise normally, but this is the first time I've really noticed it when running. Is this something I need to be looking into? Or is this normal?

Also, I cant seem to measure any movement of the spindle when I try to move it with something in the chuck.

Try squirting some oil in the bearings while running and listen for change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Some gear noise is normal in the feed gear train in any lathe, the faster the speed, the more noise.

Crazy question here, is the power feed engaged? Mine is quite a bit noisier with it engaged.
Put it in neutral and it gets much quieter.

If you have a veri-speed drive it may be the bushings.

Thanks for the replies. I'll go back out to the shop tomorrow morning and see what I can figure out. To me, it sounds like noise from the gear train. I just wanted to be make sure I understood correctly that gear train noise was normal.

First, on any lathe, almost anything that isn't lubricated from a sump, reservoir, whatever the maker calls it, unless the lubrication instructions specifically say something like "Sealed - No Lubrication Necessary" should be lubricated daily or before any use. The only general exceptions are the spindle pulley and back gear bushings, which should be lubricated Monthly whether used or not plus Daily before the first use. And the change gear train where the grease on the gear teeth should be renewed about every 5 to 8 operating hours.

As Dan wrote, the change gear train is generally noisy. But will be quieter if properly adjusted and lubricated. But even then, you would expect more noise when it is not in neutral.

Back