Non-Standard 3C Collet

R

Robert LaLonde

Forum Guest
Register Today
Other than making one is there any way to get a 3C collet in 5/8? I know I could have one custom made, but that's silly. It would be handy for a repetitive job I am working on to do the heavy operations on the big lathe and some lighter operations on the smaller lathe. The problem is I have it setup with 3C collets and a closer and I absolutely hate bolting on and unbolting a chuck on the small lathe or the mini lathe. Its just a big pain.

Anyway, Is there any chance 5/8 is one of those out of spec sizes that just happens to exist anyway. Like 7/16 for ER16 or 5/16 for ER11. They are outside the spec, but they are commonly enough made that you can hunt around and buy them for about the same price as spec size collets. There is a enough meat on a 3C for it. It wouldn't go all the way through, but my 1/2 inch 3C collets don't go all the way through either.

Here you go. Just bore to size.
https://www.amazon.com/TTC-3C-STEEL-Emergency-Collet/dp/B006UHAVDS
1516329473528.png
1516329473528.png

The body of a 3C collet is only .650". To take out .625 inside won't leave much. You will certainly cut into the index groove.

You would have a very shallow 5/8” hole, but doable. If it were me, I would just make the collet, easy enough...Dave

It doesn't have to be very deep for this job, and its a job I might have to do again if I decided to offer the product for general sale on my website. I might not since its a manual part. That takes time away from design work. I threw an outrageous price (I thought) at a customer, and he said, "Great. Send me 25 of them." That's always tempting.

I think that emergency collet should just do the trick. I might just buy a couple of them.

Don't ever buy from gigigirl111 , he rips you off on shipping, and he will not respond if you have a problem. He is a POS.

Did you take the time to wait out the mandatory cooling off period and leave negative feedback?

Looking at pictures side by side... I DON'T THINK SO.

3C Collets.jpg

Back