Noob question, Harbor Freight 7x10 lathe

GearNut

Registered
Registered
I have a Harbor Freight 7x10 lathe still covered in the factory preserving grease sitting on my work bench.
I threw out my back this past Tuesday so all I can do for now is just give it a good visual look over.
I haven't even touched a wrench to it yet.
I noticed that the lead screw has a full length tin cover over it. This looks more like a PITA device when cleaning time comes around than a device for keeping swarf out of the screw threads.
I also noticed that it is soo close to the backside of the apron that there is no room for a DIY protective shield to be installed to cover the feed gears unless I make it out of Bible paper.
Is there any disadvantage if I remove it? Is there an advantage if I leave it intact? (don't say it's a swarf shield, I can already determine that for myself :rofl:)

Thank you in advance for any insight you might share!

Don't remove it, it's there to shield off chips....(I didn't say swarf)). :lmao:

Unless it's shielding something else that's important I don't see any harm in removing it. Most lathes don't have leadscrew covers. I just wipe mine down or brush out chips whenever needed. I've never had an issue because it was dirty though.

FYI -

Chips are from milling.
Shavings are from turning
Swarf is from sawing.

Thank you both! darkzero, your logical assessment of the shield is nearly identical to mine. It looks like I will be removing it then. Thomas Payne, thank you for clarifying the terminology. I always thought that: Chips came from a bag. Shaving is what I do every morning. Sawdust came from sawing. I admit that the term "swarf" is new to me. It sounds like a nautical term. Example: "the fisherman swarf". I always called it the spirally, curly-q stuff. I shall now call it shavings.

I bought a used HF 7x10, and if it ever had a shield over the lead screw it was gone when I got it. I've thought about making a lead screw cover, but not having one doesn't seem to be a problem so it keeps falling to the bottom of my to-do list. I do take the time to clean out the lead screw with a chip brush - just run the lathe with power to the lead screw and give it a good brushing. I'll note also that a previous owner made a chip shiled for the back of the apron - I think this is well worth while (my lathe is an older model - do the new lathes already have this?).

i think you should try to keep it intact. i have the 7x12 and now converted to 7x16 that does not have the chip shield like the shorter lathe, and the lead screw gets messy and if you don't clean it right away chips get jammed into the half nut threads and won't engage right. the threads are so fine that a little but of debris will stop it from closing all the way.

FYI -

Chips are from milling.
Swarf is from sawing.
noun
Webster begs to differ Swarf:an accumulation of fine particles of metal or abrasive cut or ground from work by a machine tool or grinder.
Ron

Don't know if I would remove it. But if you do you could try something like this to keep the small metal pieces off the screw.

004.JPG007.JPG

004.JPG 007.JPG

FYI -

Chips are from milling.
Swarf is from sawing.

noun
Webster begs to differ Swarf:an accumulation of fine particles of metal or abrasive cut or ground from work by a machine tool or grinder.
Ron

That's interesting, I never hear the term shavings as referred to from machining on a lathe, not around here anyway. When you say turning, is shavings a term wood workers use? Someone once told me that Americans tend to call it chips & the English call it swarf.

I don't know though, not really important to me, just mentioning that around here people always say chips whether it be from machining on a lathe or mill.

That is in interesting tooth (thread?) brush idea. I may try it.

Back