Noobie With A Very Old Sb Lathe

I got my rebuild book and kit on eBay. Just google south bend rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They sell small amounts of the different lubricants too.
http://bluechipmachineshop.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert,
Get the kit of the 4 different oils (A, B, C and way oil) initially. That will get you by for a year or so, and then you will want to get a gallon of the C oil - you use that the most. Older south bend lathes are great. The change gear versions are not as bad as some make out- granted, it is slower than a QC gearbox but unless you are in production where time is money it is not too bad. BTW- do you live in the Lower Hudson Valley? I may have worked with you in the past if so.

Rick

OK time to resurrect this thread, I need help.

The widow of the person I bought this Lathe from contacted me last week and said they found a box with what appeared to be parts for my lathe.

I went up this weekend and hit the gold mine.

I now have a 4 jaw chuck a 5" steady rest. a box full of gears and maybe a hundred pounds of parts that I have no idea what they are.

Here is the million dollar question (I won't pay that of course)

It looks like I can now stack gears to do threading,....any way to find a chart or manual to illustrate the order/size to allow me to do this?

Also can I post up a picture of all these mystery pieces and we can have you fine folks help educate me please?

We are gonna need a picture of the lathe now that you resurrected this thread.

From what i can see of that last part shown i think it may be some type of milling attachment for a lathe but it looks to be set up to mill round tubing/pipe based on the V notch and what look to be hold down socket head cap screws and if you look very closely at the side with the 3 inline holes (probably Gib nut Adjustment screws) you can barely make out the plate seperation between the graduated hash mark scale on the rear side with a deep position indicating hash mark on the front adjustable side.....Anyway thats my guess!

You're going to be fine with that lathe and the tooling the lady found. I'm hoping she also found the cross and top slides, but if not, you will be able to find them from somebody eventually. Keep an eye on eBay and try places like Plaza Machinery (Joe died last year, but his son still sells machine parts: vincentbergamo624@gmail.com). Contact him with your model and needs and he might be able to find something for you.

By the way, that lathe is a gap-bed, so you can extend the throw by several inches. Sort of a rare option, increasing the value of your lathe. The lathe itself looks to be in very good condition. A real find. There is a site where you can search your serial number and find the year of manufacture and model of your lathe, but I can't remember it right off. Somebody else will have to post that for you.

Last edited:
Back