Norman-style QCTP pinch clamp

You could do it in a new holder too. Drill the hole for the pinch 3/4 of the way through. Then drill and tap a hole a for the bolt to hold the pinch in place. When you are done drill the pinch hole the rest of the way through the holder.

You could do it in a new holder too. Drill the hole for the pinch 3/4 of the way through. Then drill and tap a hole a for the bolt to hold the pinch in place. When you are done drill the pinch hole the rest of the way through the holder.
Makes sense. Another thought: the pinch clamp doesn't really have to go all the way through the holder in order to do its job. Is it even necessary to punch the hole all the way through? That would eliminate one alignment step and one machining step.

The pinch doesn't have to go all the way through the holder. I recently had the pinch clamp apart on my tailstock. It doesn't go all the way through.

Bit late to this. I made The Norman for my Wards lathe. I went with slotting and not the pinch it works fine. It was a fun project.
65585ba3fcc3d66aac82f68a6c8603b5.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Looks like you have made a couple of nice DI holders in addition to a bunch of tool holders.

Looks like you have made a couple of nice DI holders in addition to a bunch of tool holders.

I have. I have made lots of tooling for my SB9. Once I get my garage a bit more sorted out as I need to pull my SB out to get to my Wards and mill. I will post some pictures of what tooling I have made to date.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back