North of the border .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My son and daughter are up roaming the mountains in Jasper National Park up in Calgary . They have sent pictures and I also looked it up on Google maps . Man , what a nice looking place ! :encourage: Love to visit one day .

It is absolutely stunning. Went there in end of June '76 backpacking. Nobody around pristine, one amazing place after another. But the pictures don't show the mosquitos. I thought I'd been around mosquitos, ha! The early clouds of mosquitos in the Sierra's are HORRIBLE but you slather yourself with DEET and they hover about 5-6" away like a force field. Not there. They are 2xs the size, slow and with the same slather anyplace you don't put it, your lips, eyes inside your ears etc once you stop they nail you. Not too bad if you are in a clearing and there is a breeze. But in the woods they are a black merciless cloud. Went back in '93 with the family and did the tourist thing. No skeeters and still beautiful.

Cool! I'm actually heading up to Banff (Flying into Calgary) in a week and a half. Hoping the mosquitoes and other tourists are long gone by then.

I assume they have the black flies up there also in the spring ? :grin:

Banff was part of our "tour". I love the huge old lodges up there. There is a million hole in the wall places to explore. We stopped at a place alongside the road I think was Johnson's canyon? It's a really steep narrow canyon with a motel and they put these metal walk ways into the side of the canyon all the way up to these falls. A true feat of engineering IMHO.

you want big mosquitoes, blackflies and horseflies, come to northern Ontario in early spring their big enough to rape a duck

I'm all too familiar wit these flesh eaters . I stay away from my property in the Adirondacks for this reason . I still have welts from July 4rth weekend up there ! :surrender:

Flying in from Calgary tonight . They said they are expecting 20" of " white death " out there ! :grin: Looks like I'll have something to keep me busy tonight after all .

Sounds like an amazing place. About 15 years me and my wife spend 5 hiking days at Glacier National Part, in Montana, which crosses the Canada boarded to become Waterton Lakes National Park of Canada which is due south of Calgary. Breath taking mountains!

We toured Banff and Jasper National parks in 2018... I'm planning to go back, maybe next year. It is an unusually beautiful area.

-Bear

Back