Northern Travel question

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am planning a trip to Anchorage AK from SW Colorado pulling a trailer and am wondering about the type of driving (ie. mountainous, rolling hills?) between Prince George and Watson Lake. Better put which way is the more economical?
All meaningful help is appreciated.
Ray

It's a two lane highway generally not real steep on the Alaska highway. I ran it in early September to avoid the mosquitos in
Alaska using a small Honda car. The Cassier highway I traveled on the way back wasn't too bad either but not quite as
good of a road. In Alaska you will find a lot of tar roads with gravel on top of the tar and patches of gravel only where there
were repairs made to the road. There are spots where you need to follow a lead vehicle through work areas. I would recommend
late summer to early fall as the best time to schedule a trip. There are places where fuel is unavailable for at least 150 miles so
plan your fuel for that, carry a spare bit of oil, spare tires and water and food. The road from Prince George to Watson Lake
is relatively flat to rolling hills. It's probably a 3000 mile trip each way no matter what path you take. If you go to Dawson City, you
will get to have a free ferry ride on the George Black Ferry across the mighty Yukon river, quite a memorable event as well as Dawson
City itself.

Unless your looking for the scenic route your beter to go through Alberta and catch the Alaska highway at mile zero in Dawson Creek.
I worked in northern Alberta and BC, good highway to Fort Nelson, never made it past there.

Greg

Here's a photo of the George Black Ferry on the Yukon river. It looks pretty serene in this photo but the water is
moving at a fast pace and the ferry operator has to hold the ferry against the shore with plenty of horsepower as it
is loaded and unloaded, pretty impressive to me...288316
I watched as the operator aimed upstream to be
able to hit the landing zone, just flawless.

Yes, Dawson City is a little out of the way if you are going to Anchorage I realize. Alternatively, you can travel from Watson Lake to
Whitehorse, Haines Junction and Beaver Creek as a more direct route to Anchorage. I had to mention Dawson City though because
because it is such an interesting and memorable area deserving of the extra miles.:)

The road from Prince George to Watson Lake is fine. And, in my opinion the best route to take. Extremely scenic! Be sure to visit Hyder, Alaska & Salmon Glacier, you won't be disappointed!

Ray i think the most direct route is from Dawson Creek BC. as Greg said. I have been back and forth 8 times. It's a beautiful trip. I know Cathead said it was not generally real steep and that may well seem so with a honda BUT towing a trailer of any size or a big camper you will find the 17 mile of 6 percent on Truch Mt. or. a couple others Steamboat etc. will be peddle to the metal all the way up. Don't forget to get the Milepost mag. it will tell you everything you want to know about he highway and adjoining side roads and trips. Fuel stops, and all. You may be able to order that from Amazon ? I know it is published by the Northwest Publishing co. If you get the Milepost it will help you plan your trip. Good luck you won't be disappointed.

Old Mud, thank you
Climbing 3300 feet in one stretch will no doubt get the pick-ups attention. Put it in low gear and watch the fuel gage go down!
The Milepost is a very informative publication! I would certainly be lost without it. As you say it is an absolute must have. One concern is being able to get diesel fuel at approximately 300 mile intervals, plan on carrying 10 gallon reserve.
Have a good day
Ray

Hi Ray, i thought i posted this earlier. You should not have a problem getting fuel at the 300 mile interval. Leave Dawson's Creek and head up, at300 miles you will come th Ft. Nelson and so on. If you have a CB that would help also. CH. 19, all the truckers on on that one. and it's nice to knw what's ahead. Or bad spots in the road.

Don

Hey i also think the best way to go is West on the Queens highway (Rt 2 i think.) to rt 16 N the Yellowhead Rt. Up through Banif, Mt Robson and Jasper. Right through the Canadian Rocky's. then on North to Dawson's Creek. Well worth the trip if you have the time.

Last edited:
Thanks Don
I wish this was more than a "business" trip and here what you say about the Baniff area. The real start and stop city is Jerome, ID. Straight north to Coeur D" Alene ID and back perhaps a side trip to Spokane.
Good to know the CB radio hasn't totally gone away. Will keep mine on.
Have a good day
Ray

Last edited:
Back